Monday, April 20, 2015

Introduction to Ezekiel 38-39


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 4/20/2015 6:23 PM

Introduction to Ezekiel 38-39

            I have already mentioned how much this section in Ezekiel means to me as chapters 36-39 were used by the Lord to help in the process of being called to the Lord for salvation back in January of 1974.  Dr. Wiersbe entitles this twelfth chapter of his commentary on Ezekiel “God Protects the Nation” and that is truly what these two chapters are all about. 

            This section of Scripture is one of the most difficult passages to understand as to when it fits in on God’s timetable of end-time Prophecy and we will look at some scenarios as to how different people have plugged this into the end time prophecies.  First I want to tell what to me was a pretty amusing story that happened to me and my wife back in late January of 1978 as we first attended the Moody Bible Institute’s Founders week, as it was suggested to me by the man who mentored me for four years after I became a believer to attend this conference because the theme was on prophecy.  It was this event that the Lord used in my life to bring me to the first church that I was to join since becoming a believer four years earlier.  God was very patient with me but now it was time for me to join a church.  I have always loved all the Word of God, but especially prophecy so I looked with great anticipation to be going to my first Founder’s Week.  The weather that year was full of great snow storms as the big blizzard of  1978 hit Cleveland Ohio while my wife and I were on vacation in Key West Florida as we woke up there Cleveland, Ohio was on the front page because of the huge snow storm that hit it.  Even in Key West the temperature had dropped 20 degrees from the day before.  When we got back to Cleveland and snow was everywhere and we had to Chicago the next day.  We got there and Chicago had a lot of snow too as it was hard to get around.  Years later when we went to our 4th or 5th Founders Week we saw 70 degrees there. 

            Our first day at Founder’s Week was on a Tuesday and Dr. Jay Vernon McGee was the first speaker we heard and his text was from Ezekiel 38-39 and the name of his message was “When Russia Will Attack Israel.”  There were camera men everywhere and news people everywhere too.  Dr. McGee goes up to the podium and the first then that he tells everyone is that he had changed his mind and he was going to talk about heaven that day and speak about the Ezekiel passage on Thursday.  I never saw news men move so fast.  You would have thought that the place was on fire they moved so fast.  They had no interest to hear about heaven as I guess that was not as exciting to them as Russia attacking Israel.  Thursday’s message was probably the second time that I had heard this passage preached on and I have read many scenario’s on how this passage will be fulfilled.  My Pastor at the church I began to attend, actually the second pastor that was there wrote an article for the “Baptist Bulletin” on what were suppose to be controversial texts in the Bible that he did not even believe that the passage spoke about Russia, but countries in the Middle East, and since then I have heard others speak of this possibility too.  We will get into that later on as we study this passage in greater detail. 

            We will read about a war that uses the words “Gog and Magog,” and this is also used in the “Re 20:8 and will come out to deceive the nations which are in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together for the war; the number of them is like the sand of the seashore.”  Some people think that this war will happen at the end of the Millennial Kingdom as a result of this passage.  I have to say that this is not the most popular view as many people believe that this war will happen at a different time than the Revelation passage speaks of.  4/20/2015 6:53 PM   4/20/2015 10:17 PM

            We know that the next prophetic event to take place is the rapture of the church as spoken of by Paul in 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18, and this event can take place at any time.  However when we look at the book of Daniel and the 9th chapter and verses 24-27 it tells us of the 70 week prophecy which when properly explained is seventy-sevens and this comes out to 490 years.  I have explained this prophecy in its entirety when we looked at the book of Daniel, but I want to briefly go over it here.  The 490 year prophecy began in the book of Nehemiah chapter two when Nehemiah asked the king to allow him to go back to Jerusalem to finish rebuilding the city and the temple.  After 483 years the prophecy stopped with seven years still on it.  The time when it stopped is seen in Luke chapter 19 when Jesus rode into Jerusalem on a donkey to offer Himself as King, but they rejected Him and as Daniel’s prophecy says they killed Him, but not for Himself.  The last seven years of this prophecy will begin when the person called the Antichrist signs a peace treaty with Israel for seven years.  This begins the Tribulation Period and in my study on the book of Revelation I am going over this time period which is spoken of from chapters six through nineteen.  It is during this time that many people believe that this war called God and Magog will happen, however there are some who feel that it could happen before the tribulation period begins.  After studying these for many years and getting other people’s opinion my conclusion is that it will happen sometime during the Tribulation Period and my main reason is that as we will see in this prophecy the attack will happen when Israel is at peace and that is something that they have not had since they became a nation in 1948.  However the peace treaty that the Antichrist will sign with them to begin the Tribulation Period they will be at peace and so that is my reasoning.  God knows how all of this is going to happen and so to understand the options and to just know that it will happen is good enough for me at this time.  We will look at these two chapters over the following week or so to better understand these prophecies.

4/20/2015 10:43 PM

               

                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment