Sunday, December 20, 2015

PT-1 2nd Day, 2nd Group, 2nd Emphasis (John 1:29-34)



SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 12/20/2015 8:20 PM
My Worship Time                                                  Focus:  PT-1 2nd Day, 2nd Group, 2nd Emphasis
Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 1:29-34
Message of the verses:  “29 The next day he saw Jesus coming to him and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! 30 “This is He on behalf of whom I said, ’After me comes a Man who has a higher rank than I, for He existed before me.’ 31 “I did not recognize Him, but so that He might be manifested to Israel, I came baptizing in water." 32 John testified saying, "I have seen the Spirit descending as a dove out of heaven, and He remained upon Him. 33 “I did not recognize Him, but He who sent me to baptize in water said to me, ’He upon whom you see the Spirit descending and remaining upon Him, this is the One who baptizes in the Holy Spirit.’ 34 “I myself have seen, and have testified that this is the Son of God.’”
I wanted to mention something that I think I neglected to mention, but actually comes up in verse 30 where John the Baptist said “for He existed before me.”  We know from the book of Luke that John’s mother became pregnant with John before Mary became pregnant with Jesus, but John is speaking of the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ here and when he mentioned this the first time.
John MacArthur writes “The phrase ‘the next day’ introduces a sequence of days, which continues in verses 35, 43, and 2:1.  Apparently, the events from John’s interview with the delegation from Jerusalem (vv. 19-28) to the miracle at Cana (2:1-11) spanned one week.  On the day after he spoke to the delegation, John ‘saw Jesus coming to him.’  Faith to his duty as a herald, and defining a momentous redemptive moment, John immediately called the crowd’s attention to Him, exclaiming ‘Behold, the Lamb of God.’  That title, used only in John’s writings (cf. v. 26; Rev. 5:6; 6:9; 7:10, 17; 14:4, 10; 15:3; 17:14; 19:9; 21:22-23; 22:1, 3), is the first in a string of titles given to Jesus in the remaining verses of this chapter; the rest include Rabbi (vv. 38, 49), Messiah (4:1), Son of God (vv. 34, 49), King of Israel (v. 49), Son of Man (v. 51), and ‘Him of whom Moses in the Law and also the Prophets wrote—Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph’ (v. 45).  That was not a guess on John’s part, but was revelation from God that was absolutely true, as the life, death and resurrection of Jesus proved.”
John calls Jesus the “Lamb of God,” and this was a familiar term that the Jews knew for it went all the way back to the days of Abraham in the 22nd chapter of the book of Genesis when God had asked Abraham to sacrifice his son, but when he was about to do it God stopped him and then we read about a ram that was caught in the thicket which Abraham used as the sacrifice.  Abraham would understand what God was going to do when He sent His Son, the Lamb of God into the world in order to sacrifice Him for our sins.  Now when you look all the way back to the third chapter of Genesis when Adam and Eve sinned that God provided clothes for them because of a sacrifice of an innocent animal in order to cover them.  I have to believe that this was an innocent lamb.  Of course we know about the first Passover celebration in the land of Egypt when God told Moses to tell all the families of Israel to choose a lamb to sacrifice for them and place the blood of that innocent lamb on the door posts of their houses in order to cover their houses with the blood so the death angel would not kill them.  The Egyptians did not do this and all of their first born were killed.  This celebration went on for centuries as it looked forward to when God would send His Lamb into the world to once and for all pay for the sins of those who would accept His sacrifice, as His sacrifice was not just a covering, but a final payment.  I have to say that I will repeat a SD on Christmas on the 25th that I did last year and a part of that has to do with where it is that I think that Christ was born, not the city but the place in the city, and that also has to do with Him being “the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.”
We will continue this SD in our next SD as it is Sunday and I usually do these in the evening along with my other SD and so these are usually a bit shorter.
Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “"If You are willing, You can make me clean’” (Mark1:40).
Today’s Bible question:  “Who said ‘Thou art the Christ, the Son of the Living God?”
Answer in our next SD.
12/20/2015 8:48 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment