Friday, February 26, 2016

PT-2 of The Miracle Performed from John 5:1-9a


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 2/26/2016 11:34 AM

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  PT-2 The Miracle Performed

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  John 5:1-9a

Message of the verses:  “1 After these things there was a feast of the Jews, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 2 Now there is in Jerusalem by the sheep gate a pool, which is called in Hebrew Bethesda, having five porticoes. 3 In these lay a multitude of those who were sick, blind, lame, and withered, [[waiting for the moving of the waters; 4 for an angel of the Lord went down at certain seasons into the pool and stirred up the water; whoever then first, after the stirring up of the water, stepped in was made well from whatever disease with which he was afflicted.]] 5 A man was there who had been ill for thirty-eight years. 6 When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew that he had already been a long time in that condition, He said to him, "Do you wish to get well?" 7 The sick man answered Him, "Sir, I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up, but while I am coming, another steps down before me." 8 Jesus said to him, "Get up, pick up your pallet and walk." 9 Immediately the man became well, and picked up his pallet and began to walk.”

We begin our SD today by looking at verse five as we left off in verse four in yesterday’s SD.  John tells us that there was a man there at Bethesda who had been there for 38 years waiting to be healed.  He does not say much about the others there other than to say that they all had some kind of physical problem and were waiting for the moving of the water to get in so that they could be healed.  John does not say for a fact that anyone has been healed by getting into this water, he only says that is what these people did.  I have to confess that when I first read this passage many years ago I thought that there was an angel who stirred up the water and this was how God was healing his people, but as mentioned in our last SD this did not happen.

In verse six I highlighted the word “knew” and the reason I did this is because Jesus knows everything for He is omnisciencet and as we go through the gospel of John we will see this attribute that Jesus has always had come out.  Jesus knew how long he had been there and knew what happened for him to be there.  Now some may wonder why Jesus began the conversation with this man the way that He did “Do you wish to get well?”  John MacArthur writes “Jesus never engaged in flippant, idle conversation.  His question served several purposes:  it secured the man’s full attention, focused on his need, offered him healing, and communicated to him the depth of Christ’s love and concern.”  We can see by the man’s response that he did not understand who he was talking to, the One who could heal him.  As we look at this conversation we see similarities with the one where Jesus was talking to the woman at the well, but that conversation ended eventually in her salvation, and we are not sure how this one ended up for we are not told definitely how that ended up and therefore leaves us with questions.  However perhaps the salivation of this man was not what John wanted to focus in on by adding this story to his gospel, for as stated in the introduction this miracle that Jesus was about to perform began the persecution of the Son of God as seen through the eyes of John.

The man simply tells Jesus that there was no one to put him into the water when it was being stirred up, and as mentioned there was tradition that an angel did this and we really have no idea if the man believed that or not.  However what we have here is many physically deprived people for one reason or another and my thoughts, and they are my thoughts, are if because of the reputation that Jesus was gaining if some, especially in their condition have not heard of Jesus, which makes me wonder about the answer that this man gave to Jesus.  I have mentioned in earlier Spiritual Diaries of a missions conference that we had at our church a few years ago and one of the speakers was behind the pulpit and stated that when he was preaching directly from the Word of God that he stood right behind the pulpit, but if he was saying something that he did not know for sure he moved to one side or the other.  If I was there telling you what I just wrote I would be standing on one side of the pulpit or the other.

After listening to the man’s comments Jesus give him an order and that order is “Get up, pick up your pallet and walk.”  Let me take you to the last part of the Sermon on the Mount to give you an idea of just how persuasive Jesus was, and I believe the same way here:  “28 When Jesus had finished these words, the crowds were amazed at His teaching; 29 for He was teaching them as one having authority, and not as their scribes (Matthew 7:28-29).”  I think that at times some people do not understand the power that Jesus had while on earth, as although some of the things that He possessed were covered by His human body, He still was and still is the very God who spoke and the world, and all the stars were created, Jesus said to this man to get up and then John borrows a word from Mark’s gospel and we read that he “immediately became well and picked up his pallet and began to walk.”  Whatever was broken in this man’s body was immediately fixed and if he needed new parts Jesus gave them to him right away, for we have to remember who it was that created Adam out of the dust of the earth, and certainly believe that He had the power to fix a broken body.  The man had no ill effects physically, but just got up and began to walk.  I wonder how much of the story, if any that John leaves out for I don’t hear a “praise the Lord, I am healed,” or “Thank you for this great miracle that I just received,” nothing like this, and we will focus in on this another time.

John MacArthur concludes his comments on this section:  “This incident perfectly illustrates God’s sovereign grace in action (cf. v. 21).  Out of all the sick people at the pool, Jesus chose to heal this man.  There was nothing about him that made him more deserving than the others, nor did he seek out Jesus; Jesus approached him.  The Lord did not choose him because He foresaw that he had the faith to believe for a healing; he never did express belief that Jesus could heal him.  So it is in salvation.  Out of the spiritually dead multitude of Adam’s fallen race, God chose and redeemed His elect—not because of anything they did to deserve it, or because of their foreseen faith, but because of His sovereign choice (6:37; Rom. 8:29-30; 9:16; Eph. 1:4-5; 2 Thess. 2:13; Titus 3:5).  Even the faith to believe was a sovereign gift (Eph. 2:8-9).”

Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I certainly do not want to be like this man that Jesus healed in the sense that I am not grateful for the spiritual gift of salvation that He gave to me which in my mind is far greater than the healing of my body.  Like this man I had nothing to do with the salvation that Christ gave to me over 42 years ago, but to accept the gift and I am thankful for this wonderful gift that God has given to me.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I trust the Lord to use the Spiritual Diaries that I believe that He leads me to put onto my blogs, that He will use them to bless those who read them and bless the heart of God, and bring glory to my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Zechariah.”

Today’s Bible question:  “What two objects were in the breastplate upon Aaron’s heart?”

Answer in our next SD.

2/26/2016 12:17 PM

   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment