Monday, February 8, 2016

PT-3 of "The Contact" from John 4:7-15


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 2/8/2016 10:40 AM

My Worship Time                                                                              Focus:  PT-3 of The Contact

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 4:7-15

Message of the verses:  “7 There came a woman of Samaria to draw water. Jesus said to her, "Give Me a drink." 8 For His disciples had gone away into the city to buy food. 9 Therefore the Samaritan woman said to Him, "How is it that You, being a Jew, ask me for a drink since I am a Samaritan woman?" (For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans.) 10  Jesus answered and said to her, "If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, ’Give Me a drink,’ you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water." 11 She said to Him, "Sir, You have nothing to draw with and the well is deep; where then do You get that living water? 12 “You are not greater than our father Jacob, are You, who gave us the well, and drank of it himself and his sons and his cattle?" 13  Jesus answered and said to her, "Everyone who drinks of this water will thirst again; 14  but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life." 15 The woman said to Him, "Sir, give me this water, so I will not be thirsty nor come all the way here to draw.’”

We pick up from verse 12 as the woman asks Jesus a second question “You are not greater than our father Jacob, are You, who gave us the well, and drank of it himself and his sons and his cattle?”  I have noticed that when I study the gospels that there are many times when someone asks Jesus a question that when you look at the next thing that Jesus says He does not seem to answer the question asked Him, but seems to tell them what they need to know.  It’s like He is saying in His mind that they really need to hear what I am going to tell them, not what they asked Me.  Of course Jesus was greater than Jacob who dug that well, but Jesus did not say to her “Yes I am greater than Jacob for I am the eternal God.”  I think that we can be assured that the woman expected a negative answer to this question she just asked Jesus, as I mentioned in earlier SD’s this woman seems to be acting in a know at all way, a smarty, and this does not seem to bother Jesus at all, for He knows that once He finishes talking to her that she will come to accept Him as her Savior and Lord.  D. A. Carson is quoted by John MacArthur who writes:  “Misunderstanding combines with irony to make the woman twice wrong:  the ‘living water’ Jesus offers does not come from an ordinary well, and Jesus is in fact far greater than the patriarch Jacob.”

As mentioned we can see how patient Jesus is when He answers her question “Everyone who drinks of this water will thirst again; but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life.”  As mentioned He did not really answer her particular question, but does tell her exactly what she needs to know.  Jesus has taken a simple request by Him to this woman “give me a drink” and has now turned the conversation into spiritual things as at the end of His answer He speaks about “eternal life.”  He doesn’t even speak of Jacob, even though the Samaritans surely claimed Jacob as one of their ancestors.  Jesus is also comparing the water that comes out of this well to the water He offers as quenching the spiritual thirst that everyone has.  Everyone born has a desire to worship, the problem is who they worship, or what they worship, but the desire is there to worship and in His conversation with the woman Jesus will tell her who it is that she should worship that will satisfy her need to worship in the truest way.

Now as we look at this answer that Jesus gives let us take a look at Isaiah 12:3 “3 Therefore you will joyously draw water From the springs of salvation.”  MacArthur adds “Here was the living water of spiritual life (cf. 7:38) that her parched soul desperately needed (cf. Ps. 143:6).”  Let us look at both of these verses:  “"He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, ’From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water’ (John 7:38).”  Next Psalm 143:6 “I stretch out my hands to You; My soul longs for You, as a parched land. Selah.”  Jesus knew that the woman had a parched soul that longed for true worship, and the satisfaction of having “living water,” to quench her parched soul.

We can see once again that the concept that the woman has is still in material or physical thinking as she says to Jesus “Sir, give me this water, so I will not be thirsty nor come all the way here to draw.”  Later on in the gospel we will see a group of Galilean’s who come to the same mistaken conclusion when Jesus talks to them about bread from heaven and they say to Him “Lord always give us this [physical] bread” (John 6:34; cf. v. 26).  Her desire was not to continue to come to this well and draw water and that, so far is what she has gotten from this conversation with Jesus.

MacArthur concludes this section by writing “At this point, the woman does not appear to have been clear on the matter of spiritual transformation.  Jesus had spoken to her about the water of eternal life, and she seemed willing to accept it, but no conditions had been stated.  As with any lost sinner, this woman needed to understand two crucial issues before she could receive the living water of eternal life—namely, the reality of her sin and His identity as Savior.  In these last two points, Jesus addressed both of those issues.”  Next we will look at the Conviction and then the Christ to address these concerns.

Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I am thankful that the Lord gave to me the “living water” of salvation many years ago, as mentioned my salvation experience had some similar things that happened to this woman.  It is also my desire to be able to tell others of this experience so that they will also experience having their parched soul be fulfilled with the only true salvation.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord to help me to feel better as I have been under the weather for almost a week, and to help me when I am able to get out of the house again to be able to tell someone that the Lord brings onto my path the message of salvation.  

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question: “God be merciful to me a sinner” (Luke 18:13).

Today’s Bible question:  “Who said ‘If thou wilt walk in My ways…as they father David did walk, then I will lengthen thy days’?”

Answer in our next SD.

2/8/2016 11:29 AM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment