Monday, April 17, 2017

"Jesus' Trial: Act Two" (John 18:19-24)


SPIRIUTAL DIARY FOR 4/17/2017 9:18 AM

My Worship Time                                                                           Focus:  Jesus’ Trial:  Act Two”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 18:19-24

            Message of the verses:  “19 The high priest then questioned Jesus about His disciples, and about His teaching. 20 Jesus answered him, "I have spoken openly to the world; I always taught in synagogues and in the temple, where all the Jews come together; and I spoke nothing in secret. 21 “Why do you question Me? Question those who have heard what I spoke to them; they know what I said." 22 When He had said this, one of the officers standing nearby struck Jesus, saying, "Is that the way You answer the high priest?" 23 Jesus answered him, "If I have spoken wrongly, testify of the wrong; but if rightly, why do you strike Me?" 24 So Annas sent Him bound to Caiaphas the high priest.”

            As we have studied the gospel of John we have seen the hatred that the Pharisees and the rest of the religious rulers had for Jesus, and as we look back at John 11:47-50 we see what they had already planned for Jesus:  “47 Therefore the chief priests and the Pharisees convened a council, and were saying, "What are we doing? For this man is performing many signs. 48 “If we let Him go on like this, all men will believe in Him, and the Romans will come and take away both our place and our nation." 49 But one of them, Caiaphas, who was high priest that year, said to them, "You know nothing at all, 50 nor do you take into account that it is expedient for you that one man die for the people, and that the whole nation not perish."”  They had already determined what they were going to do with Jesus and so the trials that He went through had nothing to do with justice, but they were only a means to get what they wanted and that was the death of Jesus.  Now we know that this was in the plan of God for this to happen, and yet these who did this would be held accountable by God for what they did.  I know that this is difficult if not impossible to understand, but none the less true.

            This short trial before Annas was only to try and get the Lord to incriminate Himself , but since it was impossible for Christ to sin, to do wrong, this was not going to happen.  MacArthur writes “Just as the Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution does not today, Jewish law protected the accused from being forced to testify against himself.  It was Annas’s responsibility to inform Jesus of the charges against Him.  Instead, he asked vague, general questions, hoping to uncover a crime to justify the death sentence that had already been decided on.”

            Jesus certainly was aware of the land and that is why He stated what He stated:  “Jesus answered him, "I have spoken openly to the world; I always taught in synagogues and in the temple, where all the Jews come together; and I spoke nothing in secret.”  Jesus spoke openly to the crowd and had no hidden motive or agenda that was only known by His disciples, and so Jesus then challenged them ““Why do you question Me? Question those who have heard what I spoke to them; they know what I said.”  In saying this it “was not an act of insolent defiance, but a demand that the requirements of the law for legitimate accusers and accusations be observed; The Lord unmasked Annas’s hypocrisy, and challenged him to present his case and call his witnesses.”

4/17/2017 9:39 AM  4/17/2017 10:33 AM

            Think about why this happened:  “one of the officers standing nearby struck Jesus, saying, "Is that the way You answer the high priest?"”  Here we have an officer who takes it upon himself to strike the Lord Jesus Christ because of the way that He answered the question that was asked by his superior.  Do you think that he did this to save face because his superior was humiliated with the answer that Jesus gave?  Do you think he was doing this to gain “brownie points” with his superior?  Think about what this officer did as he actually struck the God who created him.  I say that He created him because He had created Adam and Eve and we are all off springs of them.

            In my devotions this morning as I was listening to Acts 23 about the account of when Paul was struck in his trial in front of the high priest and that has always been a mystery to me for I did not think that this was legal for that to happen, just as it was not legal for this to happen to Jesus, and yet Paul quoted a verse that was a way for him to humbly apologize to him. 

            Think about the calmness that Jesus had in this situation, for after all we have written that He was the One in charge of what was going on and also we know that this was prophesied that this would happen, and Peter later wrote in 1 Peter 2:23 “and while being reviled, He did not revile in return; while suffering, He uttered no threats, but kept entrusting Himself to Him who judges righteously;”  Now as I read this I think about all the times when I got angry over things that haven’t meant a hill of beans later on.  God is dealing with me over this in my life and as I look at the life or Christ in this section I realize that because He is not only my Savior and Lord, but He is my example too. 

            Jesus then answered the one who struck Him “"If I have spoken wrongly, testify of the wrong; but if rightly, why do you strike Me?"”  Jesus surely knew the law, knew that the officer should not have struck Him and so this is why He answered him this way.  Jesus in this way was demanding a fair trial, which we know that He would not receive for it was as if they were saying “don’t give me the facts that show that You are innocent, let’s get on with the execution.”

            Annas gave up and then “sent Him bound to Caiaphas the high priest.”  It was only Caiaphas who was the reigning high priest, even though he was only a puppet to Annas, could bring any legal charges against Jesus.

            Now we will next look at the final act in Peter’s denial in our next SD.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I have heard this story that is going on with Jesus in the sections we are studying and I think that because I have heard it over and over again that I don’t take the time to dig into what is happening and then to my shame kind of gloss over it because of the familiarity of it. This really happened to my Lord, and He did it for me and I desire to pay closer attention to it as I study these passages so that the Spirit of God will bring about change in my life.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Pray that the Spirit of God will bring change to me as I study these passages.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “John” (John 1:12).

Today’s Bible question:  “Where did Belshazzar se a hand writing mysterious words?”

Answer in our next SD.

4/17/2017 11:04 AM

           

No comments:

Post a Comment