Sunday, April 23, 2017

PT-2 "Reasons for Putting Sin to Death?" (Col. 3:7)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 4/23/2017 8:32 PM

My Worship Time                                               Focus:  PT-2 “Reasons for Putting Sin to Death”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Colossians 3:7

            Message of the verses:  “and in them you also once walked, when you were living in them.”

            I mentioned in our last SD that we will be looking at sub-sections from this main section listed in the focus portion of this SD.  Today we are looking at “SIN IS A PART OF THE BELIEVER’S PAST.” 

            I have to say that when I came to Christ, and I probably mentioned this before, I could not control my swearing, and I knew that swearing was wrong, I knew it was sinful, and so when I came to Christ He took my swearing away, something that I could have never done on my own so I truly can understand this verse stating that I used to walk in sin, that I lived in sin.

            We will look at a some similar verses:  “1 And you were dead in your trespasses and sins, 2  in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience. 3 Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.  4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved) (Eph. 2:1-5).”

Now the following is a quote from C. H. Spurgeon who asks,

“Christian, what hast thou to do with sin?  Hath in not cost thee enough already?  Burnt child, wilt thou play with the fire?  What! When thou has already been between the jaws of the lion, wilt thou step a second time into his den?  Hast thou not had enough of the old serpent?  Did he not poison all thy veins once, and wilt thou play upon the hole of the asp, and put thy hand upon the cockatrice’s den a second time?  Oh, be not so mad! So foolish!  Did sin ever yield thee real pleasure?  Dist thou find solid satisfaction in it?  If so, go back to thine old drudgery, and wear the chain again, if it delight thee.  But inasmuch as sin did never give thee what it promised to bestow, but deluded thee with lies, be not a second time snared by the old fowler—be free, and let the remembrance of they ancient bondage forbid thee to enter the net again.” 

            We conclude with Romans 6:1-2 “1 What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase? 2 May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it?”

4/23/2017 8:49 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment