Monday, April 10, 2017

PT-2 "Christ's Supreme Love" (John 18:7-8)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 4/10/2017 7:59 AM

My Worship Time                                                               Focus:  PT-2 “Christ’s Supreme Love”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                       Reference:  John 18:7-9

            Message of the verses:  “7 Therefore He again asked them, "Whom do you seek?" And they said, "Jesus the Nazarene." 8 Jesus answered, "I told you that I am He; so if you seek Me, let these go their way," 9 to fulfill the word which He spoke, "Of those whom You have given Me I lost not one.’”

            We have been looking at the great love that Jesus has for His disciples and the fact that His prayer in John 17 is answered that will be answered in the way that He prayed it, that is for protection for the eleven after He is arrested.  “To fulfill the word which He spoke, ‘Of those whom You have given Me I lost no one.”  Now let us look at some other verses from John’s gospel that goes along with this one.  “John 6:39, 40, 44 “39 "This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. 40 “For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day."  44 “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.”  John 10:28 “28 and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.”  John 17:12 “12  "While I was with them, I was keeping them in Your name which You have given Me; and I guarded them and not one of them perished but the son of perdition, so that the Scripture would be fulfilled.” 

            I suppose that when we read the account of Jesus’ arrest and that His disciples eventually ran away as He said they would that we don’t think about the fact that the Pharisees would have loved to capture them too, but as we are learning from our study in this part of John’s gospel that Christ was totally in control of what was going on here as all of this was planned from eternity past and would be fulfilled just as it was planned.  We have also learned from our study in John 17 that each was a gift from the Father to the Son.

“37 “All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out. 38 "For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. 39 "This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. 40 “For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day’ (John 6:37-40).”

            MacArthur adds “He will not lose one!  The implication is that if they had been arrested, their faith would have failed and they would have lost their salvation.  The Lord knew that the trauma of being arrested, imprisoned, or perhaps even executed could shatter the disciples’ faith.  Therefore He made certain that they would not be taken.

            “Does this means that salvation can be lost?  That faith can fail?  If left up to us, of course.  But we will never be lost nor saving faith fail, precisely because our Lord keeps us secure.  He never allows anything to come upon us that would be more than our faith could handle.”

            You don’t have to be a believer for long to understand like the disciples that all believers are weak and are venerable apart from our Lord’s protection, something that Martin Luther knew much about as God used him to bring about the Reformation and you know that he would be tempted by Satan because of this great work that God had given him to do.  He wrote the following song “A Mighty Fortress is Our God”

“Did we in our own strength confide,

Our striving would be losing,

Were not the right Man on our side,

The Man of God’s own choosing:

Dost ask who that may be?

Christ Jesus, it is He;

Lord Sabaoth His name

From age to age the same;

And He must win the battle.”

            The following is the Psalm that Martin Luther based his son “A Mighty Fortress is Our God” on and he and whoever was working with him, when things got hard would “sing Psalm 46.”

“1  For the choir director. A Psalm of the sons of Korah, set to Alamoth. A Song. » God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. 2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change And though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea; 3 Though its waters roar and foam, Though the mountains quake at its swelling pride. Selah. 4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, The holy dwelling places of the Most High. 5 God is in the midst of her, she will not be moved; God will help her when morning dawns.

 “6 The nations made an uproar, the kingdoms tottered; He raised His voice, the earth melted. 7 The LORD of hosts is with us; The God of Jacob is our stronghold. Selah. 8 Come, behold the works of the LORD, Who has wrought desolations in the earth. 9 He makes wars to cease to the end of the earth; He breaks the bow and cuts the spear in two; He burns the chariots with fire. 10 “Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." 11 The LORD of hosts is with us; The God of Jacob is our stronghold. Selah.”

            MacArthur concludes “Believers can be confident that God will always keep His promise never to allow them to be tempted beyond their ability to endure (1 Cor. 10:13).  Their eternal security does not rest in their own strength, but in Christ’s constant intercession (Heb. 7:35; 1 John 2:1-2) and unceasing love (Rom. 8:35-39) for them.  ‘For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son’ Paul wrote, ‘much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life’ (Rom. 5:10).”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  As I contemplate teaching our Sunday school class from John 17 I can take comfort that God is going to see me through this and bring glory to His name.  God will protect me and give me victory over the temptations that come about because of this job that He has given me to do as I know that He loves me and will protect me.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord to be with me in a special way as I prepare to teach this very important chapter from the Word of God.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Elijah” (1 Kings 17:10).

Today’s Bible question:  “When Jacob sent Joseph to look for his brothers, where did Joseph find them?”

Answer in our next SD.

4/10/2017 8:43 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment