Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Peter's Denial: Act Two (John 18:25-27)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 4/18/2017 9:52 AM

My Worship Time                                                                          Focus: Peter’s Denial: Act Two

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 18:25-27

            Message of the verses:  “25 Now Simon Peter was standing and warming himself. So they said to him, "You are not also one of His disciples, are you?" He denied it, and said, "I am not." 26 One of the slaves of the high priest, being a relative of the one whose ear Peter cut off, said, "Did I not see you in the garden with Him?" 27 Peter then denied it again, and immediately a rooster crowed.”

            Now as we look at this section we know that there are two interrogations going on at the same time, one Annas interrogating Jesus, and two some of Annas’s subordinates interrogating Peter perhaps wondering why this stranger was there with them at the fire warming himself.  There was good evidence against Peter for there was a slave of the high priest there who was a relative of Malthus whose ear Peter had cut off and Jesus had healed, but still Peter denied that he was with Jesus, telling a lie, something that Jesus would go to the cross to pay for. 

            At this time being a disciple of Jesus was not a crime, but we know that in the years to come it would be and still is in different countries even today, but cutting off the ear of someone was a crime and I suppose that Peter knew this and therefore denied the whole thing. 

            Now I want to go to what Luke had to say about this situation as it gives us more details into the two things that happened after the rooster crowed:  “59 After about an hour had passed, another man began to insist, saying, "Certainly this man also was with Him, for he is a Galilean too." 60 But Peter said, "Man, I do not know what you are talking about." Immediately, while he was still speaking, a rooster crowed. 61 The Lord turned and looked at Peter. And Peter remembered the word of the Lord, how He had told him, "Before a rooster crows today, you will deny Me three times." 62 And he went out and wept bitterly.”

            I believe that what we see here is the beginning of the sifting that Satan asked for concerning Peter as Peter went away and wept bitterly this sifting began and as this first event happened at this charcoal fire so the healing of Peter’s heart would happen at the next charcoal fire in the last chapter of John’s gospel. 

            Judas also wept when he realized that Jesus was going to be put to death, and he went out and hanged himself.  Peter wept bitterly but because he was a true believer in Jesus Christ he did not kill himself, but perhaps he thought about it for denying the Lord was very hurtful to him.  I can’t be hard on Peter because there are times when I, too deny my Lord and when I do it hurts me very much and so I can understand somewhat what Peter went through.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Thinking about the situation that Peter was in as he was actually cursing to his accusers that he did not know Christ and then looking up and seeing Christ must have been very dramatic for him.  When I sin I know that the Holy Spirit who lives within me sees and knows what is going on and so because of that it causes great pain for me, and yet like Peter would find out the Lord Jesus went to the cross to pay for his sin, and all of those who believe in Him.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Like Peter I cannot fight these kind of things on my own as Peter thought that he could, but have to remember “’Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ says the LORD of hosts (Zech. 4:6b).”

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “On the wall of his palace” (Daniel 5:1-5).

Today’s Bible question:  “What Syrian officer was healed from leprosy by bathing in the Jordan River at Elisha’s command?”

Answer in our next SD.

4/18/2017 10:16 AM  

No comments:

Post a Comment