Sunday, October 20, 2019

PT-1 "Feet Shod with the Gospel" (Eph. 6:15)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 10/20/2019 9:54 PM

My Worship Time                                                       Focus:  PT-1 “Feet Shod With The Gospel”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Ephesians 6:15

            Message of the verse:  “and having shod you feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace.”

            I want to mention a couple of things before we begin to look at this section on the shoes of the gospel of peace.  Today we end up our 53rd week of our study in the book of Ephesians.  This is the last main section in the 27th chapter of John MacArthur’s commentary on Ephesians with only two more chapters to look at, one last one on the spiritual armor and then one on praying at all times.  The next thing I want to say is that I have not made up my mind in what we will be studying after we finish our study in the book of Ephesians.  I think that I would like to study another gospel book, perhaps Matthew, or perhaps looking at the book of Hebrews or Romans.  I know that Romans and Hebrews are two difficult books to look at, and Ephesians has also been a difficult book to look at, so all I can say is that I will be in prayer about this and we will see how the Lord leads me.  If you feel inclined to pray about this then I would covet your prayers.

            When we think about shoes in our society we know that there are different types of shoes for almost any type of thing to do.  I could say the especially in sports there are all kinds of different types of shoes.  I guess at this time in my life golf shoes and bowling shoes are two that I like the best as far as sports shoes.

            Now remember that Paul was chained to a Roman soldier and was observing what he was wearing, and it was because he noticed his shoes at this point he wrote the following from our verse today in Ephesians 6:15.  I have studied the spiritual armor in the past and have read about the shoes that these soldiers from Rome wore and we will probably look at that description in our study on the shoes of the gospel that we are looking at now. 

            We know that if your feet hurt when you have to walk a lot then it is difficult to perform well and so the soldiers shoes had to be good enough for him to walk on different terrain like jagged rocks, walking where thorn were, wadding through streambeds or jagged stones his feet will need protection.  A soldier cannot very well handles his sword or shield if his feet are hurting, nor can he advance rapidly or even retreat if his feet are hurting.

            John MacArthur writes “In addition to being made tough and durable to protect his feet, the Roman soldier’s shoes, or boots, were usually impregnated with bits of metal or nails to give him greater traction as he climbed a slippery cliff and greater stability as he fought.”

            Now it is Sunday evening and I usually do my Spiritual Diaries on Sunday evening because of my schedule on Sunday.  What we have done in this SD is to describe the Roman Soldiers shoes and then, Lord willing, we will be looking at the believer’s footwear as we wade through this section on our spiritual footwear.   
Today’s quotation from “Love in Action” is a very short one as it comes from Acts 11:24:

“A good man, full of the holy Spirit of faith.”

10/20/2019 10:15 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment