Sunday, October 27, 2019

PT-1 "The Helmet of Salvation" (Eph. 6:17a)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 10/27/2019 1:03 PM

 

My Worship Time                                                            Focus: PT-1 “Helmet of Salvation” 

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Ephesians 6:17a

 

            Message of the verse:  “And take the helmet of salvation.”

 

            I have mentioned that I have studied the spiritual armor in the past and also mentioned that the way that John MacArthur teaches about the spiritual armor is different, but seems to be spot on after I have had some time to think about it.  Now before we go into the helmet of salvation I want to write about how I have used the shield of faith in my walk with the Lord.  I remember when I worked at the large foundry that I retired from some 20+ years ago that after I became a believer I became tempted and also upset about all of the pictures that were plastered over some portions of the buildings that were a part of the foundry.  I would have to pass by these pictures many times and so when I was studying about the spiritual armor I would sort of raise my left hand as to hold up the shield of faith against this kind of thing that was in many of the places in the foundry.  One thing that I did as I was using this part of the armor was to pray for my younger sister each time I was tempted and each time that I would use the shield of faith. I prayed that the Lord would save her as at that time I did not believe she was a believer.  A few years after I retired I was on vacation in Florida where my family was living for the winter at a RV site.  All had RV’s but my wife and I.  I had a chance to present the plan of salvation to my sister and she told me that a few years earlier when she was having some difficult things going on in her life that she had turned her life over to the Lord and said that I did not need to worry about her salvation as she was now a believer.  As I looked back from when she told me she became a believer it was at the same time when I was being tempted by obscene pictures raising my left hand with the shield of faith and praying for my sister. 

 

            As believer’s we are always in the battle and therefore we always need to have our spiritual armor on and we certainly need to have our helmet of salvation on because our heads are surely in need of protection.  The Roman soldier’s helmet was made of thick leather with pieces of metal on it to protect the head from blows from a very large sword that was about four feet long and could strike deadly blows to the head. 

 

            I have to caution those who read these SD’s that as in the case of most of my study on Ephesians that I will rely on different quotes from the commentary that I am reading to help me better understand this very difficult book of Ephesians, and that is John MacArthur’s commentary.  This is especially true in the way that he is teaching about the Spiritual Armor.

 

            What I plan to do for these last two pieces of the Spiritual Armor is to use fairly recent sermons that John MacArthur preached on the Spiritual Armor.  The commentary that I have been using is from sermons that were preached by him in 1979, and the sermon on the helmet of salvation that I want to use is from 2008.  So over the next couple days or so we will look at this sermon and I hope that you will take the time to look it over and think about it as it is important to our walk with the Lord.  We will begin, Lord willing to do this in our next SD.

 

In today’s “Love in Action” quotation we will look at David Jeremiah’s comments on our verses from yesterday Acts 9:1-2.

 

“This was Paul before his dramatic experience with God on the Damascus road.  It’s not hard to see why the true followers of Christ were skeptical of Paul’s supposed conversion!  Everyone, that is, except Barnabas.  Barnabas believed Paul and saw potential where others saw problems.

 

10/27/2019 4:31 PM

 

             

                       

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment