Tuesday, March 31, 2020

PT-1 "Knowing When We Are Humble" (Matt. 5:3)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 3/31/2020 2:29 PM

My Worship Time                                                              Focus:  Knowing when we are Humble

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matthew 5:3

            Message of the verse:  3 ‘Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”

            We continue to look at humility and the question arises “how do we know when we are humble when we are poor in spirit?”  We will begin to look at this question and hopefully find an answer to our question in our SD for today.

            In John MacArthur’s commentary he tells us that Thomas Watson gives seven principles that we may apply in determining humility, and we will begin to try and unwrap this principles.

1.     If we are humble we will be weaned from ourselves:  Like a weaned child rests against his mother, My soul is like a weaned child within me” (Psalm 131:2b).  The one who is poor in spirit loses his self-preoccupation, as self becomes nothing, and then Christ is everything.  In Galatian 2:20, a familiar verse we can see Paul’s humility when he writes “"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.”  Then to the Philippians he wrote “For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.”
2.     Humility will lead us to the lost in the wonder of Christ, as seen in 2 Corinthians 3:18 “But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.”  That word transformed is the word metamorphous, an ugly worm into a beautiful butterfly.
3.     Third we will not complain about our situation, no matter how bad it may become,  (OUCH).  Think about what would happen to us if we were not poor in spirit and then realized this and did not come to Christ.  If that were true then we would not ever in the time after death have as good of a situation that we think we are in now.  I read or heard in a sermon we are not to ask the question “Why Me Lord?”  Sometimes it is hard not to ask that question.  Sometimes a person has to suffer for Christ’s sake and then we think about all the suffering that He went through for us while on the cross.  Peter talks about this truth in 1 Peter 4:16.  He sates there that if we suffer for the sake of Christ that we will also be glorified with Him.  Paul declares in Romans 8:17-18 the following: “17 and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him. 18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.”
4.     We will more clearly see the strengths and virtues of others as well as our own weaknesses and sins.  Paul says with “humility of mind’ we will ‘regard one another as more important than [ourselves]’ (Phil. 2:3) and will ‘give preference to one another in honor’ (Rom. 12:10).
5.     We will spend much time in prayer.  The reason can be compared with the physical beggar begs for physical sustenance, the spiritual beggar begs for spiritual.  Then we will knock often at heaven’s gate because we are always in need.  This can be compared with Jacob wrestling with the angel because he wanted a blessing from Him.

            I want to, Lord willing, finish the last two principles in our next SD and then take up the last short sub-section after that. 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  When thinking about humility I never realized what I am learning in this section.  Grace is surely what I need.

My Steps of Faith For Today:  Continue to learn contentment, humility, and continue to ask the Lord to give me joy as I study His Word each day.

3/31/2020 2:59 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment