Thursday, March 26, 2020

PT-1 "The Meaning of the Poor In Spirit" (Matt. 5:3)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 3/26/2020 9:46 AM

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  PT-1 “The Poor in Spirit”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matthew 5:3

            Message of the verse:  3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”

            We will begin with a short introduction from John MacArthur and then we will be first looking at the sub-point “The Meaning of Poor in Spirit” as we continue this SD.

“Discussion of this first beatitude demands that it be looked at from five perspectives:  the meaning of ‘poor in spirit,’ the location of this virtue in the list, the way to achieve that attitude, how to know if we have that attitude, and the result promised for having it.”

THE MEANING OF POOR IN SPIRIT

            Ptochos (‘poor’) is from a verb meaning ‘to shrink, cower, or cringe,’ as beggars often did in that day.  Classical Greek used the word to refer to a person reduced to total destitution, who crouched in a corner begging.  As he held out one hand for alms he often hid his face with the other hand, because he was ashamed of being recognized.  The term did not mean simply poor, but begging poor.  It is used in Luke 16:20 to describe the beggar Lazarus.”

            There is another Greek word which was used for ordinary poverty and that word was penicros, and this word was used of the widow that Jesus saw who gave an offering in the Temple.  She did not have much but she did have two small copper coins as seen in Luke 21:2.  This woman was poor but not begging poor.  The one who is penichros poor, does have at least some meager resources.  However the one who is Ptochos poor, is completely dependent on others for sustenance as he has absolutely no means of self-support.

            There are some who teach that the similar statement from Luke 6:20, “"Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God,’” that Matthew 5:3 is talking about material poverty.  MacArthur writes “But sound hermeneutics (the interpretation of Scripture) requires that, when two or more passages are similar but not exactly alike, the clearer one explains the other, the more explicit clarifies the less explicit.  By comparing Scripture with Scripture we see that the Matthew account is the more explicit.  Jesus is peaking of a spiritual poverty that corresponds to the material poverty of one who is ptochos.

            Here is where we have to have some common sense in this matter.  For if Jesus were here, in this passage, advocating material poverty then He would have contradicted many other parts of His Word, which includes Matthew 5:42, a part of the Sermon on the Mount where we read “"Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.”  This verse teaches us to give financial help to the poor.  So if Jesus were teaching the innate blessedness of material poverty, then the task of Christians would be to help make everyone, including themselves, without any money at all.  Jesus did not teach that the material poverty is the path to spiritual prosperity.

            This is not to say that those who are materially poor do not have some advantages in spiritual matters as they do not have certain distractions and temptations because they are poor.  The materially rich have some disadvantage by having these certain distractions and temptations.  However material possessions have no necessary relationship to spiritual blessings as Matthew makes clear that Jesus is here talking about the condition of the spirit, and is not talking about one’s wallet.

            I have to say that this first sub-section is fairly long so we will be camped out here for a few days, but the things we are learning from this section has the potential to change lives, of both unbelievers and believers.  To change the lives of unbelievers because they can learn that there is nothing in and of themselves that they can do in order to be saved as their spiritual condition is as bad as it can be and so they must rely on the grace of God and the effectual call of the Holy Spirit to come to know Jesus Christ as their Savior and Lord.  As far as believers there is a verse that comes to my mind “Therefore as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him,” (Col. 2:6).  This verse tells me that in the same way that I became a believer that I am to walk in my Christian life.  I was spiritual poor and depended upon the Lord to save me and now for me to please the Lord in my walk I am to realize that they only way I can do that is to depend upon the Spirit of God to lead me and therefore for me to do the things that God has planned for me to do from eternity past “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them” (Ephesians 2:10). 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  What I see so far in this passage is something that I need to continue to learn in my life and that is humility.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  To be humble because I can do nothing on my own to earn salvation or to walk with the Lord in the way He desires me to do.  To be content with what the Lord has given me and how He causes me to walk and to do the things He desires me to do.  I am finding joy as I begin this wonderful study of the Sermon on the Mount.

3/26/2020 10:27 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment