Saturday, October 9, 2021

PT-1 "Attitude" (Matt. 10:16b)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 10/9/2021 11:19 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                              Focus:  PT-1 “The Attitude”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matthew 10:16b

 

            Message of the verse:  “therefore be shrewd as serpents, and innocent as doves.”

 

            In older writings such as Egyptian hieroglyphics and other older writings serpents symbolize wisdom.  They were considered to be shrewd, smart, cunning, and cautious.  In that characteristic, at least, Christians are to emulate serpents.  I have to say that I never thought that I would want to be anything like a serpent.

 

            Paul writes the following in Col. 4:5 “Conduct yourselves with wisdom toward outsiders, making the most of the opportunity.”  The servants of the Lord are to be shrewd and cunning in dealing with the unbelieving world around them.

 

            MacArthur writes:  “The basic idea is that of saying the right thing at the right time and place, of having a sense of propriety and appropriateness, and of trying to discover the best means to achieve the highest goal.  It is neither wise nor loving to be needlessly accusatory or inflammatory.  When the Pharisees attempted to trap Jesus into either defending or condemning the Roman government by asking Him about paying taxes to Caesar, He did not take the occasion to vilify Caesar or the Roman government—vile, debauched, unjust, and ungodly as they were.  Nord did He condone their wickedness.  He replied simply, ‘Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s; and to God the things that are God’s (Matt. 22:21).  It is neither brave nor wise, and neither spiritual nor loving, to needlessly incite anger or court trouble.”

 

            Now we move to talk about doves, the most harmless and gentle of birds.  Doves represent being pure, or innocent, which is another characteristic of the faithful disciple of Christ.  By being true to God’s Word and uncompromising in proclaiming the gospel, it does not require, and should never include, being abrasive, course, inconsiderate, belligerent, blatant, or blunt. 

 

            In 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 we see Paul’s heart in how he spoke to others about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and with that we will conclude this SD.

 

19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, that I might win the more. 20 And to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law, though not being myself under the Law, that I might win those who are under the Law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, that I might win those who are without law. 22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, that I may by all means save some. 23 And I do all things for the sake of the gospel, that I may become a fellow partaker of it.

10/9/2021 11:37 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment