Wednesday, June 14, 2023

"He Revealed Commitment To Divine Scripture" (Matt. 21:13)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 6/14/2023 9:16 AM

 

My Worship Time                                 Focus:  He Revealed Commitment To Divine Scripture”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                    Reference:  Matthew 21:13

 

            Message of the verse:  “And He said to them, “It is written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer’; but you are making it a robbers’ den,”

 

            Jesus often referred to the Old Testament, for that was all that there was at that time, and this time He refers to Isaiah 56:7 “Even those I will bring to My holy mountain And make them joyful in My house of prayer. Their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be acceptable on My altar; For My house will be called a house of prayer for all the peoples.’”  Notice in the highlighted portion of this verse “for all the peoples.”  When Mark writes of this event he adds that last section.  Matthew probably omitted these words because he was primarily writing to the Jews.  The major point is that Jesus’ cleansing of the Temple was consistent with the Word of God.

 

            John MacArthur writes “The Temple was to be a place of worship, quiet meditation, contemplation, praise, and devotion, a place where God’s people could draw close to Him in worship, sacrifice, and offerings and could seek His will and blessing.  It was not meant to be a combination marketplace, stockyard, and bank, where hucksters and charlatans carried on their greedy enterprises under the guise of serving and worshiping the Lord.”

 

            Let us now look at what Solomon said at the dedication of the Temple of his day in 1 Kings 8:27-30 “27 "But will God indeed dwell on the earth? Behold, heaven and the highest heaven cannot contain You, how much less this house which I have built! 28 “Yet have regard to the prayer of Your servant and to his supplication, O LORD my God, to listen to the cry and to the prayer which Your servant prays before You today; 29 that Your eyes may be open toward this house night and day, toward the place of which You have said, ‘My name shall be there,’ to listen to the prayer which Your servant shall pray toward this place. 30 “Listen to the supplication of Your servant and of Your people Israel, when they pray toward this place; hear in heaven Your dwelling place; hear and forgive.”

 

            Think about what was there before the Temple was built, and that was the Tabernacle which the children of Israel built on their way to the Promised Land while stopping at Mt. Sinai, where they spent a year there.  That Tabernacle was carried around in different places in the nation of Israel until David finally brought it to Jerusalem where it stayed until Solomon, his son built the Temple.  It was during the time of when the Tabernacle was still used by Israel that a woman called Hannah came to it to worship.  She was one of two wives, Elkanah, and I think that because Hannah was childless that she was loved more than the other wife who used to make fun of Hannah because she was childless.  Hannah came to where the Tabernacle was and she prayed that God would give her a child, and she said that she would give the child back to the Lord if He granted her request.  The story is in 1 Samuel 1:9-20.  In that story Samuel was born and after he was weaned Hannah gave the child to the Lord and he stayed with Eli the priest at the place where the Tabernacle was.  MacArthur writes “David declared “One thing I have asked from the LORD, that I shall seek: That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the LORD And to meditate in His temple” (Ps. 27:4).”

 

            Let us look at the last section of verse 13 where we see the words “robber’s den,” and then look at Jeremiah 7:11 “"Has this house, which is called by My name, become a den of robbers in your sight? Behold, I, even I, have seen it," declares the LORD.”  Once again we see the Lord Jesus referring to the Old Testament showing that the Temple was  being used for what it was intended to be.   We can see that extortion was being used in the Temple, and that means that there were thieves there.  MacArthur concludes “But unlike normal thieves, their robbery was public, and they stole and took refuge in the same place.  The sanctuary of God had become a sanctuary for robbers.

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  The temple for the New Testament believers is in them.  1Co 3:16 “Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?” Now as I go back to the second paragraph which is a quote from John MacArthur and I have highlighted it, I think about me, and that as Paul writes “you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?” As I compare what MacArthur writes about the Old Testament Temple and then myself being the Temple of God where the Holy Spirit lives, if I am not careful in following what God desires me to do then some of those same negative things that happened in the Old Testament Temple can happen in my life.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  It is my desire to follow the things that the Lord has called me to do for the cause of Christ and not fall away from doing them because of sin. 

 

6/14/2023 9:57 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment