Thursday, June 1, 2023

PT-3 "The Exactness of Prophecy" (Matthew 21:1b-7)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 6/1/2023 9:54 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                        Focus:  PT-3 “The Exactness of Prophecy”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference: Matthew 21:1b-7

 

            Message of the verses:  then Jesus sent two disciples, 2 saying to them, "Go into the village opposite you, and immediately you will find a donkey tied there and a colt with her; untie them, and bring them to Me. 3 “And if anyone says something to you, you shall say, ‘The Lord has need of them,’ and immediately he will send them." 4 Now this took place that what was spoken through the prophet might be fulfilled, saying, 5 "SAY TO THE DAUGHTER OF ZION, ‘BEHOLD YOUR KING IS COMING TO YOU, GENTLE, AND MOUNTED ON A DONKEY, EVEN ON A COLT, THE FOAL OF A BEAST OF BURDEN.’" 6 And the disciples went and did just as Jesus had directed them, 7 and brought the donkey and the colt, and laid on them their garments, on which He sat.”

 

            I have been talking about the differences between the coronation of Jesus which is what we have been looking at for a while now, and what a coronation of an earthly king would be like.  I suppose that that kind of coronation could be seen in England just a little while ago.  We can see that in the coronation of Jesus that He will use a colt of a donkey to ride into Jerusalem as the prophet Zachariah foretold.  John MacArthur writes about this:  “It was the sovereign choice of God the Father and of God the Son, who Himself willingly came to earth as the Servant Savior, to take upon Himself the sin of the world.  Nothing could have been more appropriate than that the Bearer of the world’s sin burden would enter God’s holy city of Zion riding on a lowly beast of burden.”

 

            I have just mentioned that this prophecy fulfillment was what Zechariah wrote probably 500 years before Jesus’ birth, but there is another prophecy fulfillment seen here too.  What I am talking about as far as another prophecy fulfillment is something that the Lord used to bring me to Himself back in January of 1973, and yes this may seem strange to some, as it surely was not typical of when most people became believers.  The prophecy I am talking about comes from Daniel chapter nine, one of my very favorite chapters in the entire Bible.  Daniel was looking at the prophet Jeremiah and found out that the children of Israel were to be released from their captivity after 70 years. Daniel writes "For thus says the LORD, ‘When seventy years have been completed for Babylon, I will visit you and fulfill My good word to you, to bring you back to this place” (Jer. 20:10).  Daniel knew that the 70 years were almost up and so the first part of Daniel chapter nine is a wonderful prayer that Daniel prays confessing the sins of Judah and praying that God will forgive them.  “20 Now while I was speaking and praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the LORD my God in behalf of the holy mountain of my God, 21  while I was still speaking in prayer, then the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision previously, came to me in my extreme weariness about the time of the evening offering. 22 He gave me instruction and talked with me and said, "O Daniel, I have now come forth to give you insight with understanding. 23  "At the beginning of your supplications the command was issued, and I have come to tell you, for you are highly esteemed; so give heed to the message and gain understanding of the vision” (Daniel 9:20-23).   Now in verses 24-27 we see this amazing prophecy that was given to Daniel from Gabriel, and a part of this is fulfilled in Matthew 21.  Let me quote Daniel 9:24-27 at this time:  “24 “Seventy weeks have been decreed for your people and your holy city, to finish the transgression, to make an end of sin, to make atonement for iniquity, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy and to anoint the most holy place. 25 “So you are to know and discern that from the issuing of a decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until Messiah the Prince there will be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks; it will be built again, with plaza and moat, even in times of distress. 26 “Then after the sixty-two weeks the Messiah will be cut off and have nothing, and the people of the prince who is to come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. And its end will come with a flood; even to the end there will be war; desolations are determined. 27 “And he will make a firm covenant with the many for one week, but in the middle of the week he will put a stop to sacrifice and grain offering; and on the wing of abominations will come one who makes desolate, even until a complete destruction, one that is decreed, is poured out on the one who makes desolate.’”  To understand this prophecy we have to understand that when it says “Seventy weeks” it means seventy sevens or 490 years.  Verse 25 talks about a decree to be made that will start this 490 years, and that decree was given in the second chapter of Nehemiah: “ 1 And it came about in the month Nisan, in the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes, that wine was before him, and I took up the wine and gave it to the king. Now I had not been sad in his presence. 2 So the king said to me, "Why is your face sad though you are not sick? This is nothing but sadness of heart." Then I was very much afraid. 3 I said to the king, "Let the king live forever. Why should my face not be sad when the city, the place of my fathers’ tombs, lies desolate and its gates have been consumed by fire?" 4 Then the king said to me, "What would you request?" So I prayed to the God of heaven. 5 I said to the king, "If it please the king, and if your servant has found favor before you, send me to Judah, to the city of my fathers’ tombs, that I may rebuild it.’”

 

            This is the decree that starts the 490 years and it will end with one week or seven years left on the prophecy when Jesus rides into Jerusalem on the colt and offers Himself to them as their King, but they will instead kill him as the prophecy in Daniel 9:26 tells us.  The words “cut off” found in verse 26 speak of His death.  I want to quote from the gospel of Luke, as we will see that Luke’s passage is talking about the same event but will add a couple of things that is not seen in Matthew’s account.  37 As soon as He was approaching, near the descent of the Mount of Olives, the whole crowd of the disciples began to praise God joyfully with a loud voice for all the miracles which they had seen, 38 shouting: "BLESSED IS THE KING WHO COMES IN THE NAME OF THE LORD; Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!" 39 Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Him, "Teacher, rebuke Your disciples." 40 But Jesus answered, "I tell you, if these become silent, the stones will cry out!’”  Now I want to look a verse 42 “"If you had known in this day, even you, the things which make for peace! But now they have been hidden from your eyes.”

 

            Let me try to explain what is happening here.  From the time that the decree is given to rebuild the city given in Nehemiah chapter two until Jesus rides into Jerusalem is a total of 173,880 days and then the prophecy stops and will not start again until the antichrist makes a covenant with Israel for them to rebuild the temple.  This begins the last seven years are what is called the tribulation period, which will end with Jesus coming back to planet earth as seen in Revelation chapter 19.  I think perhaps you can see why this prophecy in Daniel chapter nine is, to me the greatest prophecy found in the Word of God. 

6/1/2023 10:54 AM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment