Monday, June 26, 2023

PT-4 "The Principle" (Matt. 21:20-22)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 6/26/2023 9:52 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                              Focus:  PT-4 “The Principle”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                    Reference:  Matt. 21:20-22

 

            Message of the verses:  20 And seeing this, the disciples marveled, saying, "How did the fig tree wither at once?" 21 And Jesus answered and said to them, "Truly I say to you, if you have faith, and do not doubt, you shall not only do what was done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and cast into the sea,’ it shall happen. 22 “And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you shall receive.’”

 

            I want to begin this SD by talking about an earlier time in the life of Christ and His disciples.  It was when the Lord along with Peter, James, and John were up on the mount of Transfiguration, and while they were up there the other disciples were confronting a young boy who had a demon, and they could not cast the demon out.  Jesus said to them “Because of the littleness of your faith; for truly I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you shall say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it shall move; and nothing shall be impossible to you’ (Matt. 17:20).  John MacArthur writes “Jesus was not commending small faith.  It was the littleness of the disciples’ faith that prevented their success in casting out the demon.  He rebuked them for having small faith that stayed small, but exhorted them to have faith that though it begins small, continues to grow.  The point of the mustard seed illustration is not in its smallness but in its growing from smallness to greatness.  In the same way, the virtue of mountain-moving faith is its growth from smallness to greatness as God blesses and provides.”

 

            I suppose that this is something that I may have learned earlier in my walk with the Lord, but to be honest I don’t remember these points that MacArthur has made about the mustard seed growing into something large, which is what my faith should be doing as I walk with the Lord.

 

            This kind of mountain-moving faith is activated by sincere petition to God as seen in verse 22 “And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you shall receive.’”  The parables of the friend who asked his neighbor for a favor at midnight and of the widow who petitioned the unrighteous judge as seen in Luke 11:5-8; 18:1-8 both teach the importance of persistent prayer.  Persistent prayer is the prayer that moves mountains, because it is truly believing prayer.  There are some who are believers who think that if they pray to the Lord for something, that it should be answered right away, but that usually does not happen.  I have been praying for some friends of mine that I use to hang around with 50 years ago and earlier this spring I had an opportunity to get together with some of them, and this encourages me that the Lord will answer my prayers that He will save them. I have to say that fifty years to me is not but a moment to God.

 

            I think that I will try and finish this section in my next SD, and then I want to take at least one more SD to quote from the sermon that John MacArthur preached on this section, the section about the (“Principle) after I finish with this last SD.  He always has more to say in his sermons than that is written in his commentaries.

 

6/26/2023 10:14 AM

 

 

 

           

No comments:

Post a Comment