Saturday, June 10, 2023

PT-2 "He Showed He Was On A Divine Mission" (Matt. 21:12a)

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 6/10/2023 9:42 AM

 

My Worship Time                                             PT-2 "He Showed He Was On A Divine Mission"

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matthew 21:12a

 

            Message of the verses:  “And Jesus entered the temple”

 

            Jesus began His ministry at a Passover as seen in the second chapter of the gospel of John, and now as we look at what is going on at the end of His ministry we will find that He will end His ministry at a Passover.  Jesus went into the temple to cleanse it at the beginning of His ministry and now at the end of His ministry to the people He will cleanse the temple again.  I guess you can say that the people did not learn a lot in the past three years.  Let’s look at John 2:14-16 “14 And He found in the temple those who were selling oxen and sheep and doves, and the money changers seated at their tables. 15  And He made a scourge of cords, and drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and the oxen; and He poured out the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables; 16  and to those who were selling the doves He said, "Take these things away; stop making My Father’s house a place of business.’”

 

            John MacArthur writes “During the hidden years of His adolescence and young adulthood, and certainly during His ministry, Jesus had seen much social injustice, much economic inequity, much deprivation and poverty, and much oppression and cruelty by the Romans.  But His mission never focused on those things, because they are not man’s greatest problems.  It was the far more severe problem of sin that Jesus had come to conquer.  Men’s problem with God is infinitely greater than their problem other men.  They cannot, in fact, solve their problems with each other until their problem with Him is solved through faith and obedience.”

 

            I wrote recently about the use of the words “Temple of God” and how it is only used in certain translations in this section of Matthew.  This temple that Jesus went into was the temple of God, but the problem was that what was going on inside it was not at all what was pleasing to God otherwise Jesus would have no need in cleansing it.  It was in the Temple erected in His own name and by the people He had chosen for Himself that the Lord was most offended and denied.  Therefore it was in His own house that cleansing began.  The truth is that as long as things were wrong with Israel’s worship, things could not be right in the nations.  MacArthur writes “Worship is always the focal point.  The great problem with society is not injustice, inequity, crime, or even immorality—pervasive and destructive as those evils might be.  Society’s evil of evils has always been its abandonment of God.  And it is as true today as it was in ancient Israel that the people of God must themselves be revived and renewed before they can be His instruments for changing the world around them.”

 

            I mentioned that the people did not learn from when Jesus cleansed the Temple at the beginning of His ministry, so the question is what would He again bother to make this seemingly futile gesture?  Jesus knew that His act of cleansing would be temporary and would not change the hearts of the religious leaders.  However He was compelled to make that clear testimony to God’s holiness and to God’s judgment against desecration and false religion.

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  The Bible teaches me that my body is the temple of the Holy Spirit.  Psalm 139:23-24 tells me “23 Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; 24 And see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way.”  In following these two verses is something I need to do daily in order to keep my body, the temple of the Holy Spirit clean.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I trust that the Lord will do as He says in His Word, and that is if I confess my sin He will be faithful and just to forgive me, and this is because Jesus died for me on the cross to take all of my sin away.

 

6/10/2023 10:12 AM 

No comments:

Post a Comment