Thursday, September 7, 2023

PT-3 "The Response of the Lord" (Matt. 22:37-40)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 9/7/2023 9:09 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                          Focus:  PT-3 “The Response of the Lord”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                              Reference:  Matthew 22:37-40

 

            Message of the verses:  37 Jesus answered him, "’Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.’ 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And there is a second like it: ‘Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.’ 40 The whole of the Law and the Prophets depends on these two commandments’” (Philips).”

 

            We continue looking at the response that the Lord gives to this lawyer.  It is the opinion of John MacArthur “that the transforming new creation that takes place at salvation produces a new will, desire, and attitude deep within the person that can best be described as love for God.  John Makes love for God the true mark of the believer (see John 14:23-24; 1 John 2:5; 3:17; 4:12-13, 16-21).  Peter declares that God is precious to those who believe (1 Pet. 2:7), pointing to the same truth that love for God and Christ characterize a true Christian.”

 

            Let us look at some Scriptures from the Old Testament that speak of love and the first one comes from Exodus 20:6, which is a part of the Ten Commandments.  “But showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.”  Deuteronomy 7:9 “"Know therefore that the LORD your God, He is God, the faithful God, who keeps His covenant and His lovingkindness to a thousandth generation with those who love Him and keep His commandments.”  Nehemiah 1:5 “I said, "I beseech You, O LORD God of heaven, the great and awesome God, who preserves the covenant and lovingkindness for those who love Him and keep His commandments.”  Let us now look at what the Lord said in John 14:15 “If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.”  The apostle John, who speaks a lot about love says the following in 1 John2:3-5 “3 By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 The one who says, "I have come to know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; 5  but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him.”  How does a person who belongs to the Lord show that he loves God?  By keeping His commandments, and as we look at what some of the Jewish leaders did we can see that they were keeping the Law, or so they thought, on their own power, and this just does not work.  One of the most beautiful descriptions of a Christian is one who loves “our Lord Jesus Christ with a love incorruptible” as seen in Ephesians 6:24.  In 1 Corinthians 16:22 we can see one of the most sobering descriptions of an unbeliever is “anyone [who] does not love the Lord.” 

 

            True love of God declares with Paul “For that which I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate.”  What is Paul really saying here, well in essence he was saying that, even though he did not always do what was right, and I think we can all relate to that, he always loved what was right and longed to do what was honoring to God.  That was the opposite attitude of the Scribes and the Pharisees, whom Jesus repeatedly condemned for making great pretense of love for God on the outside however on the inside there was no love for God, and because the Lord knows all hearts this surely was true what He has said to the Pharisees along with the scribes.  These men were only interested only in the outward religious ceremonies and actions that fed their self-righteousness, self-satisfaction, and hypocrisy.  These were the men who recited the Shema on a regular basis, the verbal declaration of love for God was hollow and it was meaningless.

 

            I will conclude this SD with a short quote from MacArthur’s commentary: “Just as belonging to God is loving God, not belonging to Him is hating Him (Ex. 20:5).  God’s people are those who love Him, and the unsaved are those who hate Him and are His adversaries (Deut. 32:41; Prov. 8:36).”   I think that it is best if I quote these verses in the order that they are in this quotation from MacArthur’s commentary.

 

EX. 20:5 “You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me.

 

Deut. 32:41 “If I sharpen My flashing sword, And My hand takes hold on justice, I will render vengeance on My adversaries, And I will repay those who hate Me.

 

Prov. 8:36 “"But he who sins against me injures himself; All those who hate me love death.’”

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Loving God with all my heart, soul, and mind is probably the most important thing that I can do.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  To remember that loving God is to keep His commandments, and to do that I must rely on the Holy Spirit to accomplishment. 

 

9/7/2023 9:48 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment