Thursday, November 26, 2015

God Commissioned Jonah (Jonah 3:1-2)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 11/26/2015 9:26 PM

My Worship Time                                                                       Focus:  God commissioned Jonah

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                         Reference:  Jonah 3:1-2

            Message of the verses:  “1 Now the word of the LORD came to Jonah the second time, saying, 2 “Arise, go to Nineveh the great city and proclaim to it the proclamation which I am going to tell you."”

            I know that those who have read some of my Spiritual Diaries have read what has become one of my favorite quotes that Dr. Wiersbe puts into many of his commentaries because it fits the situations from different sections of Scripture.  The quote is from an old Scottish Preacher, George H. Morrison who said “The victorious Christian life is a series of new beginnings,” and this surely fits the situation that Jonah finds himself in at this particular time of his life.  Dr. Wiersbe then writes “When we fall, the enemy wants us to believe that our ministry is ended and there’s no hope for recovery, but our God is the God of the second chance.  ‘The word of the Lord came to Jonah a second time’ (Jonah 3:1).  ‘Do not rejoice over me, my enemy; when I fall, I will arise when I sit in darkness, the Lord will be a Light to me (Micah 7:8, NKJV).”

            The words of George Morrison have brought comfort to my heart on many occasions after I have taken a spiritual fall and wondered if my time to serve the Lord was done, or whether or not the Lord was done with me.  Now I read again freshly the story of Jonah and am reminded of the things that God tells him “Now the word of the LORD came to Jonah the second time.”

            The Bible is full of stories of how God has forgiven people when they have fallen as we think of Abraham when he fled to Egypt and lied about his wife.  We think of Jacob who lied to his farther Isaac, but God restored him.  Moses killed an Egyptian, but God restored him.  The killing by Moses was probably done in self-defense.  Then in the New Testament we know the story of how Peter denied Jesus three times, but then in the last chapter of John’s Gospel Jesus restored Peter by asking him if he loved Me (Jesus) three times and each time He tells him to feed His sheep, and then tells him to “Follow Me.”

            We cannot use these examples as an excuse to sin.  Dr. Wiersbe writes “The person who says ‘I can go ahead and sin, because I know the Lord will forgive me’ has no understanding of the awfulness of sin or the holiness of God.  ‘But there is forgiveness with You, that You may be feared’ (Ps. 130:4, NKJV).  God in His grace forgives our sins, but God in His government determines that we shall reap what we sow, and the harvest can be very costly.  Jonah paid dearly for rebelling against the Lord.”  Now we have one more sub-point to look at and we will save that for the next SD.

11/26/2015 9:47 PM 

No comments:

Post a Comment