Sunday, November 22, 2015

Repentance PT-3 (Jonah 2:4-7)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 11/22/2015 9:04 PM

My Worship Time                                                                              Focus:  Repentance PT-3

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                         Reference:  Jonah 2:4-7

            Message of the verses:  We are looking at the third sub-point under the main point of Repentance from the second chapter of the book of Jonah.  Jonah is praying to the Lord in the second chapter of his book and he is repenting of his sin to the Lord.

            He Trusted God’s Promises (Jonah 2:4-7):  “4 “So I said, ’I have been expelled from Your sight. Nevertheless I will look again toward Your holy temple.’ 5 “Water encompassed me to the point of death. The great deep engulfed me, Weeds were wrapped around my head. 6 “I descended to the roots of the mountains. The earth with its bars was around me forever, But You have brought up my life from the pit, O LORD my God. 7 “While I was fainting away, I remembered the LORD, And my prayer came to You, Into Your holy temple.”

            I suppose that it is fair to say that since Jonah began to run from the Lord because he did not want to do what the Lord told him to do that the direction that he was heading was down, and once he was thrown into the sea that direction of going down continued, this literally.  We can see from the story of Jonah that he went down to Joppa and then he went down into the hold of the ship, and now he is going down to the bottom of the mountains as described in verse six, and then when the great fish swallowed him, he went down into the belly of the fish.  Dr. Wiersbe points out “When you turn your back on God, the only direction you can go is down.”

            The same thing that saved Jonah will save anyone who calls on the name of the Lord and that is putting your faith in God for salvation and Jonah needed to be saved from drowning in the sea.  

            Now a fairly long while ago we were studying the book of 1 Kings and in that book Solomon gave a prayer of dedication of the temple of God and a part of that prayer was that when a Jewish person is away from the temple that he should pray towards that temple and we read in our text from Jonah chapter two that Jonah said that he was “looking toward God’s holy temple.”  Jonah must have known the OT Scriptures very well.  Let’s look at the passage from 1 Kings 8:38-40 “38  Whatever prayer or supplication is made by any man or by all Your people Israel, each knowing the affliction of his own heart, and spreading his hands toward this house; 39  then hear in heaven Your dwelling place, and forgive and act and render to each according to all his ways, whose heart You know, for You alone know the hearts of all the sons of men, 40  that they may fear You all the days that they live in the land which You have given to our fathers.”

            Dr. Wiersbe concludes:  “Jonah claimed that promise.  By faith, he looked toward God’s temple (the only way to look was up!) and asked God to deliver him and God kept His promise and answered his call.  ‘I remembered [the] Lord’ (Jonah 2:7) means, ‘I acted on the basis of His commitment to me.’  Johan knew God’s covenant promises and he claimed them.”

11/22/2015 9:23 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment