Thursday, January 28, 2016

First Introduction to Habakkuk


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 1/28/2016 9:53 PM

In this SD I want to write some of the things that I have learned from looking at the book of Habakkuk over the years that I have read and studied this wonderful little book.  First I want to say that last week in our church services we had a guest speaker who spoke on all three chapters of Habakkuk in the two services we have on Sunday, one in the morning and one in the evening and one of the things that he brought up was asking if the book of Habakkuk, which is all about Judah can be used to look at the terrible situation that we have in our country today, in other words do the things that God speaks to Habakkuk about as far as the sinful condition that was found in Judah during this time between 640 BC and 590 BC.  Now remember the nation of Judah was attacked by the Babylonians first in 605 BC and then later on in 597 BC and finally Babylon defeated Judah in 586 BC, so what Habakkuk wrote was about to happen.

Habakkuk had a conversation with the Lord as he had some things to ask the Lord that we all may from time to time want to ask the Lord.  His problem was the sinfulness that was going on in the nation of Judah, and when we look back at Judah during this time especially during the time when Manasseh was king for some 50 years there was much sinfulness going on and because of the holiness of God and because of the covenant that He had made with Judah and Israel He had to act.  We have written many times about the covenants that the Lord made with Israel when they came out of Egypt at Mt. Sinai as recorded in the 28th chapter of Deuteronomy which was a conditional covenant He made with them.  God covenanted with Israel stating if you do this I will do this, if you follow this covenant I will bless you, I will defeat your enemies, but if you do not follow this covenant I will do this, I will eventually destroy you because of your sinfulness.  Deuteronomy chapter 28 has 68 verses in it and most of it is made up of this covenant.  Now remember that the book of Deuteronomy means the renewing of the Law as the covenant is also seen in the 26th chapter of Leviticus, but because all of the people who were 20 years an older who came out of Egypt died in the forty years of wondering in the wilderness those under that age did not remember all that had happened, thus Moses writes the book of Deuteronomy to go over the laws that God made with Israel.  Habakkuk knew this covenant and knew that Israel was not following it and so he asked the Lord what should be done with them.  Now the answer that he gets back surely was not the answer that he wanted to hear as the Lord tells him that He is going to bring upon the Southern Kingdom the nation of Babylon to defeat them to which Habakkuk says that they are worse sinners than Judah was to which God says that is true, but after He uses Babylon to defeat Judah He will destroy them and this happened not too long after they defeated Judah and can be read about in the 5th chapter of Daniel. 

One can imagine how Habakkuk felt, but as we go through this short book of only three chapters we see that Habakkuk realizes that God can make no mistakes and in the end of the book we read the following “16 I heard and my inward parts trembled, At the sound my lips quivered. Decay enters my bones, And in my place I tremble. Because I must wait quietly for the day of distress, For the people to arise who will invade us. 17 Though the fig tree should not blossom And there be no fruit on the vines, Though the yield of the olive should fail And the fields produce no food, Though the flock should be cut off from the fold And there be no cattle in the stalls, 18 Yet I will exult in the LORD, I will rejoice in the God of my salvation. 19 The Lord GOD is my strength, And He has made my feet like hinds’ feet, And makes me walk on my high places (Habakkuk 3:16-18).”

We see from these verses that Habakkuk was not happy with what the Lord was going to do, yet more importantly he trusted the Lord, knowing that just as Abraham said in “Genesis 18:25  “Far be it from You to do such a thing, to slay the righteous with the wicked, so that the righteous and the wicked are treated alike. Far be it from You! Shall not the Judge of all the earth deal justly?’”

1/28/2016 10:20 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment