Saturday, January 30, 2016

The Prophet Worrying (Hab. 1:1-3)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 1/30/2016 11:07 AM

My Worship Time                                                                            Focus:  The Prophet Worrying

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Habakkuk 1:1-3

Message of the verses:  “1 The oracle which Habakkuk the prophet saw. 2 How long, O LORD, will I call for help, And You will not hear? I cry out to You, "Violence!" Yet You do not save. 3 Why do You make me see iniquity, And cause me to look on wickedness? Yes, destruction and violence are before me; Strife exists and contention arises.”

I have mentioned many, many times how much I enjoy the writings of Warren Wiersbe as he can take spiritual truths and cause them to make perfect sense and use words that I can understand, unlike some people that I read.  As stated in earlier SD’s by me “he puts the cookies on the shelf where I can reach them,” and the following is one of those cookies as we begin our study of the book of Habakkuk.  “One of the ‘Christian myths’ that ought to be silenced says that when you trust Jesus Christ, you get rid of all your problems.  You don’t.

“It’s true that your basic spiritual problem—your relationship with God—has been solved, but with that solution comes a whole new set of problems that you didn’t face when you were an unbeliever, like: ‘Why do good people suffer and evil people prosper?’  Or ‘Why isn’t God answering my prayers?’  Or ‘When I’m doing my best for the Lord, why do I experience the worst from others?’

“Christians who claim to be without problems are either not telling the truth or not growing and experiencing real life.  Perhaps they’re just not thinking at all.  They’re living in a religious dream world that has blocked out reality and stifled honest feelings.  Like Job’s uncomfortable comforters, they mistake shallow optimism for the peace of God.  You never hear them ask what David and Jesus asked, ‘My God My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?’ (Ps. 22:1; Matt. 27:46).

“Habakkuk wasn’t that kind of a believer. As he surveyed the land of Judah, and then watched the international scene, he found himself struggling with some serious problems.  But he did the right thing: he took his problems to the Lord.”  

Now as we begin our study in the book of Habakkuk and follow the outline of Dr. Wiersbe we will see that the first chapter of his commentary is what our “focus” is for today, and then under that is the first main point entitled “Why Is God So Indifferent?” and following that we will begin to look at some of his sub-points, of which the first one is “The Prophet’s Concern” which we will look at today.

In the NASB95 which is the version that I use we read in the first verse of Habakkuk “The oracle which Habakkuk the prophet saw.”  In the KJV the word for “oracle” is translated “burden” and John Gill has the following to say about this first verse:  “This prophecy is called a "burden," or something took up and carried, being what the prophet received from the Lord, and went with to the people of the Jews, and was a heavy burdensome prophecy to them; declaring the calamities that should come upon them by the Chaldeans, who would invade their land, and carry them captive; and Habakkuk, that brought this account, is called a "prophet," to give the greater sanction to it; and it was what he had in vision from the Lord represented unto him, and therefore should be credited. Abarbinel inquires why Habakkuk should be called a prophet, when none of the lesser prophets are, excepting Haggai and Zechariah; and thinks the reason of it is, to give weight to his prophecy, since it might be suspected by some whether he was one; there being none of those phrases to be met with in this prophecy as in others, as "the word of the Lord came," &c. or "thus saith the Lord".”

When you think about the word “burden” it makes me think of a couple of places in the Word of God that speak of a prophet or an apostle actually eating the Word of God.  Jer 15:16 Your words were found and I ate them, And Your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart; For I have been called by Your name, O LORD God of hosts.”  Another time we see a different reaction to the “eating of God’s Word” from the book of Revelation:  “Re 10:9 So I went to the angel, telling him to give me the little book. And he said to me, "Take it and eat it; it will make your stomach bitter, but in your mouth it will be sweet as honey."Re 10:10 I took the little book out of the angel’s hand and ate it, and in my mouth it was sweet as honey; and when I had eaten it, my stomach was made bitter.”  I believe that we can conclude that after getting this message from the Lord that Habakkuk got he had the same reaction that John had in the passages from Revelation chapter ten, and that is they were a great burden to him when he understood what God was going to do in Judah.  John felt the same pain after eating the little scroll as he then had to prophesize about the judgments that were about to take place on the whole world.

The time that Habakkuk was living in was a dangerous time for in his writing we see words like violence, iniquity, grievance or misery, spoiling or destruction, strife, contention or disputes and also injustice. There is a lot of injustice going on in our country at this time too.  As we look at verses 2-3 we see that Habakkuk was burdened over the sin that was going on in Judah and so he prayed to God about it, that God would do something about the sinfulness of Judah.  It seems that Habakkuk had been praying about this for some time, but he writes that God was not listening to him.  God was listening to him, but it seems to me that He waited for the proper time to talk to Habakkuk.  In verse two we see Habakkuk call out to the Lord, and then he cries out to the Lord later on in that verse, which means he was screaming out to the Lord with a loud voice.  Habakkuk was surely disturbed about what was going on in Judah as he looked at all of the wickedness that he saw, and as he was praying about this his burden grew more and more.

I wonder how many people in our country who are truly believers have the same kind of burden as Habakkuk when they look at the sinfulness that is going on in our country.  We have seen over 57 million babies killed in their mother’s womb since the legalism of abortion began.  This is just one of the many sins that are going on in our country.

1/30/2016 11:46 AM  

No comments:

Post a Comment