Saturday, April 16, 2016

PT-2 The Pronouncement (John 6:51)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 4/16/2016 8:51 AM

My Worship Time                                                                       Focus:  PT-2 The Pronouncement

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 6:51

            Message of the verses:  “51 “I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is My flesh.’”

            I want to begin this SD by looking at the word “flesh” and how many times we will be seeing it as we go through the rest of this sixth chapter of the Gospel of John.  Warren Wiersbe writes on this word flesh “a word that will be used six more times before the dialogue is concluded.  John 6:51 is a declaration that the Son of God will give Himself as a sacrifice ‘for the life of the world.’  The substitutionary death of Jesus Christ is a key doctrine in John’s Gospel.  Jesus would die for the world (John 3:16; 6:51), for His sheep (John 10:11, 15), for the nation (John 11:50-52), and for His friends (John 15:12).  Paul made it personal, and so should we:  ‘Who love me, and gave Himself for me’ (Gal. 2:20). We must not limit the work of Christ on the cross.  He is the sacrifice not for our sins only, but also for the sins of the whole world (1 John 2:2).”

“Joh 6:51  "I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is My flesh."

Joh 6:52 Then the Jews began to argue with one another, saying, "How can this man give us His flesh to eat?"

Joh 6:53  So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves.

Joh 6:54 “He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.

Joh 6:55 “For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink.

Joh 6:56 “He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him.

Joh 6:63 “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.”

 

            Now as we look at the end of verse 51 “and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is My flesh,’” what are we looking at here?  Jesus is prophesying that He would die in order to give His life for the sins of the world, which of course is why He came to earth, and exactly what He did.  John MacArthur writes “Since ‘the wages of sin is death’ (Rom. 6:23) and ‘without shedding of blood there is no forgiveness’ (Heb. 9:22), Christ became the final sacrifice for sin, ‘the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!’ (John 1:29).  His death, for all who believed and would believe, God accepted as the full payment for sin (Rom. 3:25-26; 4:25; Heb. 2:17; 1 John 2:2; 4:10), so that complete pardon was provided for the sins of all the penitent faithful (Acts 10:43; 13:38-39; Eph. 1:7; Col. 1:14; 2:13-14; 1 John 1:9; 2:12).”

            MacArthur writes the following on “Redemption is the work of God.  Christ died to accomplish it, not merely to make it possible and then finally accomplished when the sinner believes.  The Bible does not teach that Jesus died for everyone potentially, but no one actually.  On the contrary, Christ procured salvation for all whom God would call and justify; He actually paid the penalty in full for all who would ever believe.  Sinners do not limit the atonement by their lack of faith; God does by His sovereign design.”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  As an unworthy sinner I wonder at times why Christ would die for me, and then I have to think of His love, grace, and mercy, and that helps me answer that wondering about it.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord to show me how to love Him, more and to know Him better, and then do it.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Because he did not glorify God” (Acts 12:20-23).

Today’s Bible question:  “With what did Judas betray Jesus?”

Answer in our next SD.

4/16/2016 9:25 AM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment