Saturday, December 3, 2016

One More Look at the word "Peace" (John 14:27)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 12/3/2016 10:42 AM

My Worship Time                                         Focus:  On more look at the word Peace

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                            Reference:  John 14:27

            Message of the verse:  “27 “Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.         

I want to once again quote from Dr. Warren Wiersbe who is someone that I read most every day.  This time I want to quote him on what we have been looking at from John’s gospel over the last few days and that is the word “peace.” “Shalom—peace—is a precious work to the Jewish people.  It means much more than just the absence of war or distress.  Shalom means wholeness, completeness, health, security, even prosperity in the best sense.  When you are enjoying God’s peace, there is joy and contentment.  But God’s peace is not like the ‘peace’ that the world offers.

            “The World bases its peace on its resources, while God’s peace depends on relationships.  To be right with God means to enjoy the peace of God.  The world depends on personal ability, but the Christian depends on spiritual adequacy in Christ.  In the world, peace is something you hope for or work for; but to the Christian, peace is God’s wonderful gift, received by faith.  Unsaved people enjoy peace when there is an absence of trouble; Christians enjoy peace in spite of trails because of the presence of power, the Holy Spirit.

            “People in the world walk by sight and demand on externals, but Christians walk by faith and depend on the eternals.  The Spirit of God teaches us the Word and guides us (not drags us!) into truth.  He also reminds us of what He has taught us to that we can depend on God’s Word in the difficult times of life.  The Spirit uses the Word to give us His peace (John 14:27), His love (John 15:9-10), and His joy (John 15:11).  If that does not calm a trouble heart, nothing will!”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Studying and learning from the Word of God is a marathon and not a 100 yard dash.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord to continue to teach me from His Word to cause growth in my life so that I can know Him better, and so that I can pass on the truths that He teaches me.

Answer from yesterday’s Bible question:  “Abraham” (Genesis 18:28).

Today’s Bible question:  “In what city did Solomon build the temple?”

Answer in our next SD.

12/3/2016 11:09 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment