Saturday, December 24, 2016

PT-2 The Friends of Jesus Know Divine Truth" (John 15:15)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 12/24/2016 11:29 AM

My Worship Time                                      Focus:  PT-2 The Friends of Jesus Know Divine Truth

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 15:15

            Message of the verse:  “15  "No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you.”

            The first thing that I want to mention is that since tomorrow is Christmas that I will be posting on both of my blogs something that I wrote about Christmas a few years back, and try to post it on Christmas Day each year.

            Now we began looking at this section about friends of Jesus who are best described also as being slaves of Jesus Christ which has taken us to look at what the Bible has to say about slaves and also we have looked at the Greek word of slave which is seen in some form some 150 times in the New Testament and one of them was in the book of Philippians “but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men (Phil. 2:7). From what I have learned there was no Greek Word for “bond-servant” in that language, but that Greek word is translated in English as slave, so this tells us that Jesus Christ emptied Himself taking the form of a slave and being made in the likeness of men.  Jesus Christ was a slave to His Father, doing His will while on earth.

            Now we want to continue looking at verse fifteen and see that because we are now friends of Jesus He will make known all things that He heard from His Father.  Jesus stated in John 8:32 “They will know the truth and the truth will make them free.”  Now let us look at some verses from the 17th chapter of John and this chapter is known as Jesus’ High Priestly Prayer.  We have mentioned that from the 13th chapter of John to the 16th chapter of John that Jesus gave many promises to His disciples which are not only for them but also for us as well and when we come to the 17th chapter of John Jesus is praying that God will cause all of these promise to be made true in the lives of His disciples and also for us too.

“6 "I have manifested Your name to the men whom You gave Me out of the world; they were Yours and You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word. 7  "Now they have come to know that everything You have given Me is from You; 8 for the words which You gave Me I have given to them; and they received them and truly understood that I came forth from You, and they believed that You sent Me (John 17:6-8).”

In the Gospel of Matthew chapter 13:10 His disciples as Jesus why He spoke to the crowds in parables and Jesus replied “To you it has been granted to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been granted (Matthew 13:11).”  Then in Luke 10:23-24 Jesus told His disciples “23 23  Turning to the disciples, He said privately, "Blessed are the eyes which see the things you see, 24 for I say to you, that many prophets and kings wished to see the things which you see, and did not see them, and to hear the things which you hear, and did not hear them." Turning to the disciples, He said privately, "Blessed are the eyes which see the things you see, 24  for I say to you, that many prophets and kings wished to see the things which you see, and did not see them, and to hear the things which you hear, and did not hear them."”   Since we as born-again believers in Jesus Christ are His friends we have the insight into “the mystery which has been kept secret for long ages past, but now is manifested, and by the Scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the eternal God, has been made known to all the nations, leading to obedience of faith (Rom. 16:25-26).”  I think that we have spoken about the word “mystery” in past SD’s but this word that is found in the New Testament means that something was hidden in the Old Testament is now seen in the New Testament.  The Old Testament prophets did not understand what they were writing all of the time, but many of those things that were actually hidden from them as seen in the New Testament.  Let me give an example from Psalm 41:9 “Even my close friend in whom I trusted, Who ate my bread, Has lifted up his heel against me.”  We know that this was fulfilled in the upper room 18 "I do not speak of all of you. I know the ones I have chosen; but it is that the Scripture may be fulfilled, ’HE WHO EATS MY BREAD HAS LIFTED UP HIS HEEL AGAINST ME’ (John 13:18).” I believe that David wrote the 41st Psalm and can’t imagine that he knew that this verse that He wrote which may have been spoken of his son Absalom would be fulfilled in the truest way speaking of Judas, but that was what we could call a mystery which took place in the New Testament.

John MacArthur concludes this portion of his commentary on this verse by writing “Their ability to understand the spiritual truths Jesus reveals to them sets His friends apart from the unredeemed, who have no such privileges:

“12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God, 13 which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words. 14 But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised. 15 But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one. 16 For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, THAT HE WILL INSTRUCT HIM? But we have the mind of Christ (2 Con. 2:12-16).”

Spiritual meaning for my life today:  As I think about being friends of Christ and as I think of the many things that the Spirit of God has taught me through the reading of His Word, looking at commentaries on His Word, listening to the preaching of His Word I am amazed that I get to know these mysteries.  When I look at the world around me I know how things are going to end because of the study of His Word and so this gives me comfort and peace. 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I do not want to get caught up in the things that are going on in our world but as mentioned because I know what the final outcome is, to trust the Lord to give me the peace that passes all understanding that will guard my heart and my mind.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Ethiopian eunuch” (Acts 8:36).

Today’s Bible question:  “Elijah went over what river on dry ground?”

Answer in our next SD.

12/24/2016 12:09 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment