Saturday, December 31, 2016

PT-2 "The World Hates Believers because it does not know God (John 15:21-25)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 12/31/2016 11:40 AM

My Worship Time        Focus: PT-2 The World Hates Believers Because it does not Know God

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 15:21-25

            Message of the verses:  “21 "But all these things they will do to you for My name’s sake, because they do not know the One who sent Me. 22  "If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not have sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin. 23 “He who hates Me hates My Father also. 24  "If I had not done among them the works which no one else did, they would not have sin; but now they have both seen and hated Me and My Father as well. 25 “But they have done this to fulfill the word that is written in their Law, ’THEY HATED ME WITHOUT A CAUSE.’”

            I mentioned in our last SD that this section will take some time to get through, but I really don’t have a problem with that as it is my desire not to rush through our study of John, but to stop and to understand the things that John writes so we can better serve the Lord.

            We will not look at verse twenty-two in this SD.  As we look at verse 22 we have to stop and think about all the people who had heard Jesus speak, and had seen Him do miracles like raising the dead after being dead for four days.  Think about that for a moment as it was different when He did these miracles and spoke His Words to the people than it is today for people today can say that they don’t believe that He did these miracles of even spoke the words that He spoke, but not then.  The people who saw these things have to answer for not believing in Jesus Christ, I think more than those today who can read about it, but did not see it.  Jesus told Thomas later on in this book when Thomas refused to believe what the disciples told him about what they saw about Jesus being raised from the dead “John 20:29  Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.”

            I want to quote from John MacArthur concerning the use of the word sin in verse 22.  “The Lord was not speaking here of sin in general, but rather of the specific sin of willfully rejecting Him in the face of full revelation.  That is the most serious sin of all, because it is the only one that is not forgivable.  Having witnessed firsthand Jesus’ miracles and heard His teaching—both of which testified unmistakably to His deity (cf. Matt. 7:28-29; John 7:46; 10:25, 37-38; 14:10-11)—the Pharisees’ conclusion was, ‘This man casts out demons only by Beelzebul the ruler of the demons’ (Matt. 23:24).  Because they attributed His miraculous works to Satan instead of the Holy Spirit, Jesus pronounced their sin to be unforgivable:

 ‘31  "Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. 32  "Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.’

            “While that specific sin can no longer be committed, since Jesus is not physically present on earth, the principle remains the same.  Total rejection in the face of total revelation is unforgivable, since there is nothing left for God to show such people.  In the sobering words of the writer of Hebrews,

            ‘4 For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame (Heb. 6:4-6).”

            I have to say at this point that this section from is a very difficult passage to understand and if my memory is correct I think that John MacArthur has a different view on these verses than Warren Wiersbe and also my former pastor, Pastor Jacobs.  I looked back at what I wrote on this passage from February, 27, 2003 and thought that it may be good to quote it here, but before I do that I have to say that the point that MacArthur is making here is the line that I highlighted in his quote, that God has nothing more to show people than His Son and what He did.

            This is a very difficult passage to understand as evidenced by the many different opinions of the people that I have read who have their own ideas about the meaning of it.  My own Pastor Jacobs seemed to put thing in the proper prospective for me to understand what the writer is speaking about.  Pastor Jacobs believes that this was a very poor place to have a chapter break as the things that were written about in chapter five seem to flow with these things written in the first part of chapter six.  The writer has been warning these people that he is writing to about the fact that they are not growing in the Lord as they should be and that they are wasting time in their walk with the Lord because of this lack of growth.  He could have given them deeper spiritual truths if they we not stuck in immaturity needing again predigested milk as if they were babes in the Lord.

            “I believe that the writer is trying to get the attention of these people and thus the strong warning he gives here to them.  It seems clear to me that if they would not have been in the “mess” that the writer would not have had to write to them about this and so others in the Church age would have missed out on this warning that God has for them.  God makes no mistakes and uses all of these problems to help those along the way who need to read warnings like this one.

            “I believe that the writer is saying to this group of people that they need to stop and take inventory of their spiritual life and make sure that they indeed are true believers, and it could be that some of them were not believers; however I do not believe that he was writing to that group in particular.  The part in verse six that speaks of if they fall away they cannot be renewed again could mean that while they are in that condition that they could not be renewed, but once they repent then they can be renewed.  There are far to many other passages that say different.  I think of 1John 1:9 which is speaking to believers confessing their sins and that God is faithful and just to forgive those sins.  However if a person is just “playing Christian” and continues to sin there will come a time like in the life of Pharaoh that God will eventually harden his heart.  If a believer continues to sin and does not repent God may take him home “early.”  Paul speaks of this in 1Corinthians eleven on the passage about the Lords Table.”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I am thankful that the Lord has, through His Holy Spirit and His Word who Jesus Christ is and that He died for me and not lives to make intercession for me in heaven, and that He will one day, I hope soon, will return to take me to be with Him forever.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I will have contentment in the Lord.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Depart from me:  For I am a sinful man, O Lord’” (Luke 5:8).

Today’s Bible question:  “Who said ‘Behold, the half was not told me:  thy wisdom and prosperity exceedeth the fame which I heard’?”

Answer in our next SD.

12/31/2016 12:25 PM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment