Tuesday, December 6, 2016

PT-3 "Intro to John 14:28-31


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 12/6/2016 8:52 AM

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  PT-3 Intro to John 14:28-31

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 14:28-31

            Message of the verses:  “28 "You heard that I said to you, ’I go away, and I will come to you.’ If you loved Me, you would have rejoiced because I go to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. 29 “Now I have told you before it happens, so that when it happens, you may believe. 30 "I will not speak much more with you, for the ruler of the world is coming, and he has nothing in Me; 31 but so that the world may know that I love the Father, I do exactly as the Father commanded Me. Get up, let us go from here.”

            We ended up yesterday’s SD by looking at a list compiled by Leon Morris who summarized what Christ’s death means for believers, as he gave sixteen items in that list, so if you have not looked at that list please look at the SD from 12/05/2016.

            The Apostle Paul must have contemplated all that Christ’s death means to believers when he wrote the following found in Galatians 6:14 “But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.”  And then he also wrote “For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified” to the Corinthians in 1 Cor. 2:2.  As we think about these two of many statements found in the Word of God that show us the significance of what Christ’s death means to us as believers we may do well to ponder what our lives would be like if Christ had not come to earth for the purpose of purchasing our salvation on the cross.  As I think about this I can understand why Paul would only want to boast in the cross of Jesus Christ, for what have I to boast about except in the cross of Christ, for I can do nothing to obtain salvation for myself, therefore I too desire to boast in the cross of Christ.

            Now we come to the part of this introduction to look at what Christ’s death meant to Him.  Now remember the second person of the godhead came to earth some 2000 years ago for the purpose of dying on a cross to satisfy God’s demands for the payment of sin and after 33 years Jesus was about to finish the work that His Father gave Him to do and after that was finished He is to return to the Father, to the glory He shared with Him from eternity past, and Jesus was ready for that to happen.  Now this truth is something that many of us have not looked at before.  I know that I have not and as I listened to two messages on this subject I learned many things that I have never thought before, things that I hope to share with you through the following Spiritual Diaries on these verses.

            I can understand why I did not understand what Christ’s death meant to Him as even His eleven remaining disciples did not realize this truth.  Everyone of His disciples thought that He was going to overthrow the Roman government and set up His promised kingdom, but that was not the case and so they were confused and disappointed.  As Jesus continued to talk to them the slowly understood that He was going to die, and of course this caused them to be sad for He had been with them for three plus years and had cared for their every need and now He was going away to be with His Father again.  Jesus had promised to them that He would be resurrected from the dead and then would be with them for a while after that but that still did not, at this time give comfort to them, things were going to be different, change was coming and change many times is scary, as it was to them.

            As we conclude this SD we want to look at the selfishness of Jesus’ disciples as they saw the Lord’s death only in terms of what would be loss to them, and not what would be gained to Him.

            MacArthur writes “The disciples’ selfishness prompted the Lord’s rebuke, ‘You heard that I said to you, ‘I go away, and I will come to you.  If you loved me, you would have rejoiced.’  Since the noblest love does ‘not seek its own’ (1 Cor. 13:5), but rather what is best for its object, Jesus exposed the weakness of the disciples’ love and called them to view the cross from His perspective.

            “This passage reveals four facets of what Jesus’ death meant to Him, each of which reflects an important aspect of His work.  Through His death His ministry would be vindicated, His message would be verified, His mission would be victorious, and His motivation would be validated.”  We will begin to look at these four facts in our next SD.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  There is a large difference between selfishness and loving others even when it costs me something as “love does not seek its own.”

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord to work in my heart to love as He loves.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “The bread represents the body of Jesus” (1 Corinthians 11:24-25).

Today’s Bible question:  “What did God do to all the animals after the flood?”

Answer in our next SD.

12/6/2016 9:27 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment