Monday, December 5, 2016

PT-2 Intro to John 14:28-31 (What the death of Christ means)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 12/5/2016 11:25 AM

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  PT-2 Intro to John 14:28-31

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 14:28-31

            Message of the verses:  “28 “You heard that I said to you, ’I go away, and I will come to you.’ If you loved Me, you would have rejoiced because I go to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. 29 “Now I have told you before it happens, so that when it happens, you may believe. 30 "I will not speak much more with you, for the ruler of the world is coming, and he has nothing in Me; 31  but so that the world may know that I love the Father, I do exactly as the Father commanded Me. Get up, let us go from here.”

            We are talking about the death of Christ and not only what it meant to Him, which is the real emphasis of this section, but also what it means to us as believers in Jesus Christ.

            We, as believers are justified through the death of Jesus Christ which is a legal term meaning “to declare righteous.”  We have to be declared righteous through His death for that is the only way we will become righteous, for we cannot do it on our own, and God will not allow anyone into His heaven unless they are righteous.

            His death also redeems believers from slavery to sin and this can be seen in some of my memory verses that I am trying to memorize, but it is also seen in Ephesians 1:7 “In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace.”  Hebrews 9:12 tells us “and not through the blood of goats and calves, but through His own blood, He entered the holy place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption.”  Romans 6:11 tells us “Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.”  Being dead to sin the sin nature that we all have through our relationship with Adam is taken away when we are born again into the family of God.  Now I know that there are some that say we still have a sin nature, and I know that we still have a tendency to sin, and the Bible does call it our flesh.  I have studied this and have come to the conclusion that I know that I still have something in me that causes me to desire to sin, but I also realize that when Christ died for me that He has taken away what I had in Adam as one of his descendants and now when I sin I hate it, but before the new birth I sinned because I was born a sinner.  Paul speaks of this in the 7th chapter of the book of Romans.

            John MacArthur writes “Christ was able to ransom the elect because His death propitiated (appeased, satisfied) God’s holy wrath against sin.  Paul wrote in Romans 3:25 that ‘God displayed [Jesus] publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith.’  Christ was able ‘to make propitiation for the sins of the people’ (Heb. 2:17) because ‘He himself is the propitiation for our sins’ (John 2:2; cf. 4:10).”

            Now we live on planet earth which was created by God and God owns it and so He has the right to determine what the payment of sin is to be and He says in Hebrews 9:22 “without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness” of sin, and therefore it was essential for Christ to die in order to obtain that forgiveness for all believers.  Jesus said the following in Matthew 26:28 “for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins.”  God sacrificed His beloved Son so that we can have redemption, so we can be forgiven.  Paul writes in Colossians 2:13-14 “13 When you were dead in your transgressions and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our transgressions, 14 having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.

            Leon Morris who we have quoted before as he is quoted in the commentaries of John MacArthur gives us a list, which we will close this SD with, that shows us what Christ death means for believers.

1.      “We are redeemed, Ephesians 1:7; 1 Peter 1:19.

2.      We are made nigh to God, Ephesians 2:13.

3.      We are reconciled to God, Colossians 1:20-21; Romans 5:10.

4.      Jew and Gentile are now made one, Ephesians 2:16.

5.      We are cleansed, Hebrews 9:14; 1 John 1:7.

6.      We are justified, Romans 5:9.

7.      We are sanctified, Hebrews 10:10; 13:12.

8.      We are perfected forever, Hebrews 10:14.

9.      We have been purchased unto God, Revelation 5:9.

10.  The bond that was against us has been nailed to the cross, Colossians 2:14.

11.  We have boldness to enter into the holy place, Hebrews 10:19.

12.  We are loosed from our sins, Revelation 1:5.

13.  We may overcome by the blood of the Lamb, Revelation 12:11.

14.  By His cross peace with God has been secured, Colossians 1:20.

15.  His blood establishes a new covenant, 1 Corinthians 11:25.

16.  His death was to redeem us from all iniquity, Titus 2:14.”

(The Cross in the New Testament [Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1965], 425-26)

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Where would I be without the death of Christ on the cross?  God did not have to send His Son to die for me, but because of His love, grace, and mercy He chose to do this and for that I am thankful.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  To be thankful for what Christ has done for me, and to live a life through the power of the Holy Spirit that is pleasing to Him who died for me.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Mary” (Luke 10:39).

Today’s Bible question:  “In communion, what is symbolized by the bread?”

Answer in our next SD.

12/5/2016 11:58 AM

           

No comments:

Post a Comment