Saturday, December 17, 2016

PT-4 The Blessings of Abiding Branches (John 15:2b-5, 7-11)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 12/17/2016 10:54 AM

My Worship Time                                              Focus: P T-4 The Blessings of Abiding Branches

Bible Reading & Meditation                         Reference: John 15:2b-5, 7-11

            Message of the verses:  “every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bear more fruit. 3 “You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. 4 “Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. 5 “I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing… 7 “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 “My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples.  9 "Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love. 10 “If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. 11 “These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full. 

            Now the verse that we will begin with this morning is verse 7: “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.” We looked at something similar to this when we were studying chapter fourteen and verses 13-14.  I quoted something from Warren Wiersbe in a prayer guide that I wrote for our churches prayer and fasting day a few weeks ago on this subject and Dr. Wiersbe had the following to say:  ““The ‘whatsoever’ in John 14:13 is qualified by all that God has revealed in His Word about prayer; likewise, the ‘anything’ in John 14:14.  God is not giving us carte blanche; ‘in My name’ is the controlling element.  To know God’s name means to know His nature, what He is, and what He wants to do.  God answers prayer in order to honor His name; therefore prayer must be in His will (1 John 5:14-15).  The first request in ‘The Lord’s Prayer’ is ‘Hallowed be Thy name’ (Matt. 6:9).  Any request that does not glorify God’s name should not be asked in His name.”  John MacArthur had the following to say about those verses ““First, it means to make requests consistent with God’s will and the purposes of His kingdom.”  Needless to say there is much in the Word of God that has to say about prayer and how the Lord will and will not hear or answer our prayers.  One of them for me is how they treat their wives, something Peter brings up.  Here Jesus is saying that we have to abide in Him, so His Word’s will abide in us (true believers) and then we can ask what we wish of God and He will grant it, but by doing this we will ask something that is in the will of God because of our abiding in Him and knowing His Word.

            John MacArthur writes the following about “Words translates the plural form of the noun rhema, and refers to the individual utterances of Christ.  The promise of answered prayer comes only to those whose lives are controlled by the specific commands of God’s Word (cf. Ps. 37:4) ‘4  Delight yourself in the LORD; And He will give you the desires of your heart.’  On the other hand, both Psalm 66:18 and James 4:3 warn that those controlled by sinful, selfish desires will not have their prayers answered.”  “18 If I regard wickedness in my heart, The Lord will not hear;”  “You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures.”

            Now we want to look at verse 8 “My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples.  We see that God is glorified by what we have learned from verse seven and also will be glorified when we bear much fruit which will prove that we are disciples of Jesus Christ.  When we look at the most important thing in the world that we can do it is to glorify God, that is why we are here.  When we look at Psalm 19 we see that the stars bring glory to the Lord, and we also know that the animals and the weather also bring glory to the Lord, remember when Jesus calmed the storms and they obeyed for they brought glory to the Lord.  The only thing that does not always bring glory to the Lord is men and God created the world to create man to bring glory to Him, but sin has got in the way, however we can still bring glory to the Lord in spite of being sinful if we trust Jesus Christ as our Savior and Lord and abide in Him as we are learning today.  Paul wrote in Romans 15:18a “For I will not presume to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me.”

            Next we will look at the promise that those who abide in Jesus will experience His love as found in verse 9-10 “9 "Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love. 10 “If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.”  The way this is done is answered in verse ten, which also gives us the example of Jesus following the will of His Father while on earth.

            We have been looking at this section for a while and I want to conclude it by quoting the final paragraph from John MacArthur’s commentary on this subject:  “The crowing blessing, to which all the rest contribute, is full and complete joy.  The Lord promised to impart to believers His ‘joy’—the joy that He shares in intimate fellowship with the Father.  ‘These things I have spoke to you,’ Jesus said to the eleven, ‘so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.’  The Lord promised that His own joy will permeate and control the lives of those who walk in communion with Him.  Just a short time later, Jesus reiterated this promise in His High Priestly Prayer to the Father.  ‘But now I come to You; and these things I speak in the world so that they may have My joy made full in themselves’ (John 17:13).  Such joy comes only to the obedient, as David learned to his sorrow.  After his terrible sin with Bathsheba, he cried out, ‘Restore to me the joy of Your salvation’ (Ps. 51:12).  But the obedient receive ‘joy inexpressible and full of glory’ (1 Peter 1:8).”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I learn from this section that I am to obey the Lord so that I can have the Holy Spirit produce fruit in my life and to have the joy of the Lord in my life.  Let me share a verse in Hebrews that helps me to understand something about joy:  “1  Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2  fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God (Heb. 12:1-2).” 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Remember that joy is doing what the Lord wants me to do, and joy and happiness are not always the same.

Memory verse for the week:  (Romans 6:8) “8 Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him;”

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Peter” (Acts 5:29).”

Today’s Bible question:  “Paul was on his way to what city when he came to Appii forum?”

Answer in our next SD.

12/17/2016 12:02 PM

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment