Thursday, February 23, 2017

PT-1 "The Requirement He Meets" (John 17:4)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 2/23/2017 9:21 AM

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  The Requirement He Meets

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 17:4

            Message of the verse:  “4 “I glorified You on the earth, having accomplished the work which You have given Me to do.”

            We look today at the third facet of the saving purpose of God, which is as stated “The Requirement He Meets,” and as we look at this verse we can see that the Lord looked past the cross as if it had already happened.  I think that we could say that this verse is in what some have called “the prophetic tense.”

            As we take a look back in eternity past we see that it was the plan of God the Father to get a bride for God the Son and in eternity past God chose those who would be the Son’s bride, and the Son would come to earth to pay the price for their redemption, which is what verse four is talking about would happen.  This is God’s perfect plan and in this perfect plan we see His perfect justice take place as the Son pays for the sins of those whom God has chosen in eternity past.  I know that in writing this that many will not believe this is all true, and yet as I study the Scriptures I certainly can see this taught.  Early in our study of John I quoted extensively from a sermon John MacArthur preached called “Two Truths” and in that sermon he spoke of God’s choice in salvation and mans responsibility of receiving the gift of salvation that Christ has provided.  Both the choosing and the receiving are involved in salvation.

            Jesus came to earth to fulfill the Father’s plan “10 “For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost’ (Luke 19:10).”  MacArthur adds “The Father’s gift was so precious to the Son that He was willing to do whatever was necessary to receive it (cf. Phil. 2:1-11.)  I won’t quote that passage as we have looked at it before, but it is worth taking the time to go over it once again as there are many great truths in it.

            We know that Jesus did as He states in verse four and that is that He glorified the Father during His time on earth and He did this by having perfectly accomplishing the work which the Father gave Him to do.  Let us look at a few verses to help us with this point.  “34 Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me and to accomplish His work (John 4:34).” “30 “I can do nothing on My own initiative. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is just, because I do not seek My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me (John 5:30).”  “38 “For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me (John 6:38).”  “10  "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love (John 15:10).”  Now we know that that work culminated in the cross which Jesus views here in an anticipatory way, none the less will happen just as it had been planned from eternity past.  MacArthur writes about this “Jesus was certain that the eternal promise of God would be perfectly accomplished, and that nothing could prevent the Father’s purposes from being realized.  But His statement did more than merely reveal His own confidence in the plans of the Father.  It also served as an example to the disciples—reminding them to trust in God’s sovereign working and take comfort in knowing that He was in control.”

We will continue with this subject in our next SD.

Spiritual meaning for my life today:  To gain from knowing that God is in control of what goes on in my life whatever that may be, and to trust Him to see me through what His plans are for my life no matter what those are.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord who is in complete control of all things.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “40.”

Today’s Bible question:  “Was Solomon made king before or after David died?”

Answer in our next SD.

2/23/2017 9:53 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment