Monday, February 27, 2017

PT-2 Intro to John 17:6-10


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 2/27/2017 10:49 AM

My Worship Time                                                                     Focus:  PT-2 Intro to John 17:6-10

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 17:6-10

            Message of the verses:  “6 "I have manifested Your name to the men whom You gave Me out of the world; they were Yours and You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word. 7  "Now they have come to know that everything You have given Me is from You; 8  for the words which You gave Me I have given to them; and they received them and truly understood that I came forth from You, and they believed that You sent Me. 9  "I ask on their behalf; I do not ask on behalf of the world, but of those whom You have given Me; for they are Yours; 10  and all things that are Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine; and I have been glorified in them.”

            In our last SD we looked at different passages which showed that the Lord chose those who will become believers before the foundation of the world, but there are also verses in the Word of God which contain numerous entreaties to all unsaved people to believe in the Lord.  I say this because one, it is in this introduction in MacArthur’s commentary and two because it needs to be said so we can understand that God loves the unsaved people of this world and desires for them to come to know Him and so there are included in the Word of God verses which the Holy Spirit can use to draw people to Himself in a saving relationship.  And as we look at both truths in the Word of God I keep going back to the sermon “Two Truths” as MacArthur explained it so very well in that sermon.

            I think that one of the things that I personally have trouble with and that God is dealing with me is that I need to be praising the Lord for this wonderful gift that He has given to me, I truly do not want to act like the Pharisees did in Jesus’ day when they thought that they were so good because they thought that God had chosen them because of their good works.  Ok I don’t want to get away from the verses that I am trying to introduce here.

            Let us look at a quote from a 17th century English Puritan named Richard Baxter whom John MacArthur quotes in his introductory comments for these verses.  The quote has to do with believers praising God for all eternity because He graciously chose them and also redeemed them through the work of His Son, and that is a big part of what Jesus is praying for in this “Lord’s Prayer.” 

            “[Salvation] was dear to Christ, but free to us…Here is all free; if the Father freely give the Son, and the Son freely pay the debt; and if God freely accept that way of payment, when He might have required it of the principal; and if both Father and Son freely offer us the purchased life on our cordial acceptance; and if they freely send the Spirit to enable us to accept; what is here, then, that is not free?  O the everlasting admiration that must surprise the saints to think of this freeness! ...What an astonishing though it will be [in heaven] to think of the immeasurable difference between our deserving and receivings!  Between the state we should have been in, and the state we are in!  To look down upon hell, and see the vast difference from that to which we are adopted!  What pangs of love will it cause within us to think, ‘Yonder was the place that sin would have brought me to; but this is it that Christ hath brought me to!  Yonder death was the wages of my sin, but this eternal life is the gift of God, through Jesus Christ my Lord…But no thanks to us, nor to any of our duties and labors, much less to our neglects and laziness; we know to whom the praise is due and must be given for ever…So then let DESERVED be written on the door of hell; but on the door of heaven and life, THE FREE GIFT. (In The practical Works of Richard Baxter).”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  To praise the Lord for His inexpressible gift of salvation.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Jesus” (Luke 20:8).

Today’s Bible question:  “In what city did David first become King?”

Answer in our next SD.

2/27/2017 11:29 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment