Thursday, February 2, 2017

PT-2 "Faith" (John 16:27b-32)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 2/2/2017 9:40 AM

My Worship Time                                                                                          Focus:  PT-2 “Faith”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 16:27b-32

            Message of the verses:  “and have believed that I came forth from the Father.  28 "I came forth from the Father and have come into the world; I am leaving the world again and going to the Father." 29 His disciples said, "Lo, now You are speaking plainly and are not using a figure of speech. 30 “Now we know that You know all things, and have no need for anyone to question You; by this we believe that You came from God." 31 Jesus answered them, "Do you now believe? 32  "Behold, an hour is coming, and has already come, for you to be scattered, each to his own home, and to leave Me alone; and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me.”

            In our last SD we were looking at and comparing human faith with Biblical faith, true saving faith which the Bible has much to say about, and in particular John who also writes about false faith in his first epistle along with his second epistle.

“7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the antichrist. 8 Watch yourselves, that you do not lose what we have accomplished, but that you may receive a full reward. 9 Anyone who goes too far and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God; the one who abides in the teaching, he has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house, and do not give him a greeting; 11 for the one who gives him a greeting participates in his evil deeds (2 John 7-11).”

            I suppose that verse ten may remind you of those cults who come to your house spreading their false teachings and condemning you that you believe that the trinity truly does exist and that Jesus Christ is truly Creator God come in the flesh.  I have heard that some believers have allowed them to come into their house to tell them the truth, but most of the time as for me I kindly tell them that I am not interested.

            As we look back at the time after Jesus ascended into heaven and the disciples were dealing with the Jewish spiritual leaders they too had similar problems that believers have to day in trying to explain that Jesus Christ is who He claims to be, that He was sent by the Father as He told the Jewish leaders in John 8:14; 

            “14 Jesus answered and said to them, "Even if I testify about Myself, My testimony is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going; but you do not know where I come from or where I am going.”  In John 9:29 we can an example of how the Jews placed themselves under the judgment of God by stating:  “29 “We know that God has spoken to Moses, but as for this man, we do not know where He is from."”

            Now as I look at the subject of “faith” that we are looking at in this section of John, I am once again amazed that in my evening devotions from the book of Colossians, actually towards the end of chapter one, I am studying about redemption and redemption is exactly what our Lord came to planet earth.  When we go back to the third chapter of Genesis we find the sin of Adam and Eve and because of that sin they were not able to come into the presence of God like they did before that sin and so God was far off from them and they were far off from God.  When Jesus came to planet earth for the purpose of redemption it is a two way street for God is brought back into fellowship with those who receive Christ as Savior and Lord and those that receive Him as Savior and Lord are brought back into fellowship with God through the blood of Christ, and so redemption is received through faith in Christ as those who are called by the Holy Spirit receive by grace through faith the salvation that Christ has provided for them.

            John MacArthur writes “The reason Christ came into the world was to do the work of redemption.  Before His birth the angel told His earthly father, Joseph, ‘[Mary] will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins’ (Matt. 1:21).  The Lord defined His mission when He said, ‘The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many’ (Matt. 20:28).  A few days earlier at the triumphal entry, Jesus had said, ‘Now My soul has become troubled; and what shall I say, ‘Father, save Me from this hour’?  But for this purpose I came to this hour…I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world’ (John 12:27, 47).”  Now I can help but to say that when we first began to study the book of Revelation a little over two years ago we looked at the first chapter and we saw Jesus Christ as the Judge and as we moved along in the book we realized that when He comes back at the end of the Tribulation Period, He will be coming to judge the world.

            MacArthur writes “The rest of the New Testament reiterates the truth that Christ came to redeem lost sinners.  John wrote, ‘By this love of God was manifested in us, that God sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him…We have seen and testify that the Father has sent the Son to be the Savior of the world’ (1 John 4:9, 14).  It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance,’ Paul affirmed, ‘that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners’ (1 Tim. 1:15).  To the Galatians he wrote, ‘But when the fullness of time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, so that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons’ (Ga. 4:4-5).”

            Now as we look at the last statement from verse 28 “I am leaving the world again and going to the Father,’” we can see that this completes a remarkably concise summary of the gospel.  Jesus came to do the will of the Father as seen in Luke where he told His earthly parents “How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father’s business? (KJV)” We see here that He came to do the work of the father and right before He died on the cross He stated “it is finished.”  Salvation had been paid for, it had been paid in full which is the Greek meaning of that word.    And with that we will complete this SD and try and finish this section in our next SD.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Whenever I think of the plan that God had to send His Son to save me I am amazed and overwhelmed at that thought.  I praise the Lord for the salvation He has given to me through Jesus Christ completing the work of salvation when He came to earth.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Because of God’s plan in saving me I want to live for Him.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Heaven” (Genesis 1:8).

Today’s Bible question:  “Whom did Paul especially entreat to have sound speech?”

Answer in our next SD.

2/2/2017 10:33 AM

 

                                                                                                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment