Monday, February 20, 2017

The Strength of The Ministry (Col. 1:29)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 2/20/2017 10:23 PM

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  The Strength of the Ministry

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Colossians 1:29

            Message of the verse:  “29 For this purpose also I labor, striving according to His power, which mightily works within me.”

            Kopiao (‘labor’) means to work to the point of exhaustion.” writes John MacArthur as he describes this word that we find in our verse that we are looking at today.  I have to say that when I have been around the three major Pastors since I became a believer that this certainly was a quality that all of them had, and have as two are now with the Lord, and one is the Pastor I sit under at this time.   It seems to me that God has given gifted pastors a lot of strength to work at the ministry until they are exhausted and for that we should all be thankful. 

            When you read the book of Acts and also the letters that Paul wrote you can see that he worked himself to exhaustion many, many times.  Let us look at an example of this from Paul’s writing to the Corinthians in 2 Corinthians 11:23-28:

“23 Are they servants of Christ?-I speak as if insane-I more so; in far more labors, in far more imprisonments, beaten times without number, often in danger of death. 24 Five times I received from the Jews thirty-nine lashes. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, a night and a day I have spent in the deep. 26 I have been on frequent journeys, in dangers from rivers, dangers from robbers, dangers from my countrymen, dangers from the Gentiles, dangers in the city, dangers in the wilderness, dangers on the sea, dangers among false brethren; 27 I have been in labor and hardship, through many sleepless nights, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. 28 Apart from such external things, there is the daily pressure on me of concern for all the churches.”

            You cannot be a good Pastor and be a lazy Pastor as lazy ones will never fulfill the ministry the Lord has called them to.  “Striving is a form agonizomai, which refers to completing in an athletic event.  Our English word agonize is derived from it.  Success in serving the Lord, like success in sports, demands maximum effort.”

            Now we have to look at the last phrase in verse 29 which Paul says that he strives “according to His power, which mightily works within me.”  Paul was doing the word that God had given him to do and he could have never done it without the power of the Holy Spirit working in him.

            John MacArthur concludes this chapter with these words:  “These eight aspects of Paul’s ministry should characterize every believer.  All Christians serve Christ in some capacity.  Paul’s message to all in this passage is, ‘The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things’ (Phil. 4:9).”

            Let us review the eight aspects of ministry that we have been going over since the 8th of Feb. 2017.

1.     The Source of The Ministry (Col. 1:23c, 25a).

2.     The Spirit of Ministry of the Ministry (Col. 1:24a).

3.     The Suffering of The Ministry (Col. 1:24b).

4.     The Scope of the Ministry (Col. 1:25b).

5.     The Subject of the Ministry (Col. 1:26-27).

6.     The Style of the Ministry (Col. 1:28a).

7.     The Sum of The Ministry (Col. 1:28b).

8.     The Strength of The Ministry (Col. 1:29).

2/20/2017 10:51 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment