Saturday, February 11, 2017

PT-2 "The Spirit of the Ministry" (Col. 1:24)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 2/11/2017 10:14 PM

My Worship Time                                                          Focus:   PT-2 “The Spirit of the Ministry”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Colossians 1:24a

            Message of the verses:  “Now I rejoice”

            We are talking about the spirit of the ministry which is rejoicing and have determined that joy is something that happens within a person and does not determine upon happiness or circumstances.

            John MacArthur writes “Joy is generated by humility.  People lose their joy when they become self-centered, thinking they deserve better circumstances or treatment than they are getting.  That was never a problem for Paul.  Like all of God’s great servants, he was conscious of his unworthiness.  Imprisoned in Rome, while other preachers got the glory, he wrote, ‘Christ is proclaimed; and in this I rejoice, yes, and I will rejoice’ (Phil. 1:18).  Facing the possibility of martyrdom, he wrote, ‘Even if I am being poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I rejoice and share my joy with you all’ (Phil. 2:17).”  So we get the point of how Paul had always felt unworthy of being called by the Lord for ministry, and so what ever happened to him along the way he had the inward joy which caused him to serve the Lord no matter what he was going through, as John MacArthur stated “Joy is generated by humility” and Paul became a very humble man after the Lord saved him and called him to his ministry.

            Not only was this true of Paul, but also of the early church as well.  John MacArthur quotes a second-century apologist named Aristides who wrote to the Roman emperor Antonius Pius a description of Christians that said “if any righteous person from among them passed from this world the Christians would rejoice and give thanks to God.  When a child was born to Christian parents, they would praise God.  If it died in infancy, according to Aristides, the parents thanked God even more because the child would be one who had passed through the world without encountering sin.” 

            MacArthur concludes “Circumstances, people, and worry are the thieves that are eager to steal the joy of the ministry.  Humility, devotion to Christ, and trust in God protect the joy that is Christ’s legacy to every Christian (cf. John 1 5:11; 17:13).”

            John 15:11 “11 “These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.”

            John 17:13 “13 “But now I come to You; and these things I speak in the world so that they may have My joy made full in themselves.”

            I find this very easy to understand, but very difficult to obtain this in my life, praying that God will cause me to have joy in my ministry and in my life.  2/11/2017 10:30 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment