Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Commended by the Father (Matt. 12:18a)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 1/25/2022 9:17 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  “Commended by the Father”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matthew 12:18a

 

            Message of the verse:  Behold, my servant whom I have chosen; My beloved in whom my soul is well pleased:” (Phillips).

 

            John MacArthur points out that “Pais (Servant) is not the usual word for ‘servant’ and is often translated ‘son.’  In secular Greek it was used of an especially intimate servant who was trusted and loved like a son.  In the ancient Greek edition of the Old Testament (the Septuagint), pais is used of Abraham’s chief servant (Gen. 24:2), of Pharaoh’s royal servants (41:10, 38), and of angels as the Lord’s supernatural servants (Job 4:18).”

 

            It is Jesus Christ who is God’s supreme Servant, as He is His holy Son whom He has chosen to redeem the world.  MacArthur adds “The Greek phrase translated ‘I have chosen’ (from hairetizo) indicates a firm and determined decision and is used nowhere else in the New Testament. It is used in secular Greek of irrevocably (permanently) adopting a child into the family as an heir who could never be disenfranchised.  The Father had irrevocably ‘chosen’ His ‘beloved’ Son to be His divine ‘Servant,’ the only One qualified for the task of redemption.”

 

            As we look into the prophets of the Old Testament we can see that they spoke of God choosing the Messiah that He was referred to as “The Chosen One.”   In Luke’s gospel we see that the rulers were sneering at our Lord and even called Him “His Chosen One” referring to God’s chosen One.  They knew so much about Jesus being the “Chosen One” but would not put their trust in Him for salvation.  I have mentioned before that the more you know about how salvation can be gotten, and then not chose to follow Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, the greater the punishment will be in Hell.

 

            It is Jesus who is the Father’s ‘beloved, in whom’ His ‘soul is well-pleased.’  Now it is through the grace of God, and according to Ephesians 1:6-7 “which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved,” that “we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses.”  John MacArthur writes “Against the testimony of Israel and of the world is the testimony of the Father.  Jesus said, ‘If I along bear witness of Myself, My testimony is not true.  There is another who bears witness of Me, and I know that the testimony which He bears of Me is true,…the witness which I have is greater than that of John; for the works which the Father has given Me to accomplish, the very works that I do, bear witness of Me, that the Father has sent Me.  And the Father who sent Me, He has borne witness of Me’ (John 5:31-32, 36-37).”

 

            We will look at two times that the Father spoke from heaven.  “"This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well-pleased." This occurred at our Lord’s Baptism.  “While he was still speaking, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and behold, a voice out of the cloud said, "This is My beloved Son, with whom I am well-pleased; listen to Him!’”  This occurred at the transfiguration found in Matt. 17:5, the first in Matthew 3:17.

 

            Here is the truth that needs to be understood, and that is it is impossible for men to be well-pleasing to God unless they come to Him through His Son, and He is the One whom is well pleased.  Romans 8:8-9 says “8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God. 9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.”

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Col 2:6 Therefore as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him.”  This verse speaks to me in showing me that the way that I was saved is the way that I should walk with the Lord, and that is through the power of the Holy Spirit, the same One who 48 years ago tomorrow gave me an effectual call that I could not say no to and I became a new person in Jesus Christ my Savior and my Lord.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust that I am walking in the power of the Holy Spirit doing the things that He desires me to do.

 

1/25/2022 9:59 AM

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment