Friday, January 28, 2022

Committed to Meekness (Matt. 12:19)

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 1/28/2022 9:12 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                      Focus:  “Committed to Meekness”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matthew 12:19

 

            Message of the verse:  19 “HE WILL NOT QUARREL, NOR CRY OUT;

NOR WILL ANYONE HEAR HIS VOICE IN THE STREETS.”

 

            A couple of things before I get started: First we are still in the quotations from Isaiah, and second this SD will be a very short one, and it is a good day for me to do a short one as my former Pastor’s wife died a week ago and we must go to her funeral this afternoon.  I still miss my former Pastor who went to be with the Lord in 2009.  It is good that his wife is now in heaven with her Lord and with her husband.

 

            MacArthur writes “Epizo (to ‘quarrel’) carries the idea of wrangling, hassling, or even brawling.  Kraugazo (to ‘cry out’) means to shout or scream excitedly.  The term was something used of a dog’s barking, a raven’s squawking, and even a drunk’s bawling.”

 

            Jesus did not come to sermonize and sweet-talk people with the gospel like a rabble-rousing zealot who inflames his hearers by appealing to their emotions and prejudices.  If you think about people who do these kind of things you may think of a TV evangelist who is trying to make people feel guilty and then to get them to feel better he wants them to send money to his organization so he can get rich and you can get poorer.  On the other hand Jesus spoke with dignity and was always in control, and He used no means of persuasion but only the truth.  As we read through the gospel accounts we can see that Jesus never organize a mob or resorted to trickery, lies, or scheming, as His opponents routinely did against Him, and we know that his opponents were mostly made up of the scribes and the Pharisees.  Jesus was the way of gentleness, meekness, and lowliness; Jesus was perfect in every way.  Even though He was the Son of God, the divine Messiah, and the rightful King of kings, He never tried to secure a hearing, much less a following, by political power, physical force, or emotional protest.

 

            MacArthur concludes this short section by writing:  “Even the wisdom of man knows that no real persuasion can be made by force or intimidation.  As Solomon reminds us, ‘The words of the wise heard in quietness are better than the shouting of a ruler among fools’ (Eccles. 9:17; cf. 1 Cor. 2:1-5).”  “1 And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. 2 For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. 3 I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, 4  and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5  so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.”

 

            As we look over the different places where we find the Apostle Paul in Scripture, and I am mostly talking about in the book of Acts, but other places too we find that Paul patterned his life after the Lord Jesus Christ, the very best pattern to follow.

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I had an experience last night with my neighbors as I had taken them some of our left over dog food we had and gave it to them for their three dogs.  I believe that the wife is a Christian, as I have had a chance to talk to her on a few occasions.  I presented the gospel message to her husband, who says he is a believer, but shows no signs of being one.  I had the chance to very calmly tell him my testimony as on Wednesday I celebrated my 48th “New Birth Birthday.”  He understood what God had done for me, but did not understand the important part of being born again.  In talking with his wife who has a decision to make I suggested that she take it to the Lord, something she said she would do, but I don’t think she would have until I gave her the suggestion.  I pray for this couple a lot and will continue to pray for them.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I am trusting the Lord to give me the wisdom to teach a Bible Study this afternoon, and then to teach our Sunday school class this Sunday.

 

1/28/2022 9:49 AM 

No comments:

Post a Comment