Saturday, September 10, 2022

Jesus said "I will build My Church" (Matthew 16:18-20)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 9/10/2022 9:41 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                        Focus: Jesus said “I will build my Church”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                              Reference:  Matthew 16:18-20

 

            Message of the verses:  18 "And I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades shall not overpower it. 19 “I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." 20 Then He warned the disciples that they should tell no one that He was the Christ.

 

            Today we are going to look at the second feature or characteristic of the church that He is building which is “I will build my Church.”  We have recently learned of the confession that Peter made that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of the living God.  This certainly is a true statement and because of who He is He cannot lie about anything, and since He says “I will build my Church” we can believe that this is just what He will do.

 

            Now comes a quote from John MacArthur that may be new to some who are reading this:  “In using the future tense, Jesus was not saying, as some contend, that He had not build His church in the past.  The idea is that He would continue to build His church just as He had always done.  As will be discussed below, church is used here in a general, nontechnical sense and does not indicate the distinct body of believers that first came into existence at Pentecost.

            “Jesus was not emphasizing the time of His building but its certainty.  No matter how liberal, fanatical, ritualistic, apathetic, or apostate its outward adherents my be, and not matter how decadent the rest of the world may be, Christ will build His church.  Therefore, no matter how oppressive and hopeless their outward circumstances may appear from a human perspective, God’s people belong to a cause that cannot fail.”

 

            The point that we must learn from this truth is that it is Jesus Christ who will build His church.  Believers are certainly a part of what the Lord uses to build His church as they are the ones who give out the gospel to others and the Spirit of God is the One who convicts people of their sin and then their need to repent and accept the Son of God into their hearts so that they will be saved, and at that time will become the part of a universal Church, and should then seek out a local church where they can fellowship with like-minded believers.  I have mentioned many times in my blogs that I did not get saved at a church service, but I would have to say it was in a restaurant that was famous for hotdogs and beer.  I was given the four spiritual laws in order for me to understand the gospel and the Spirit of God who had been doing a work in my heart after listening to sermons by Hal Lindsey on the end times brought me to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ on the 26th of January 1974.  Like I said earlier it was Jesus Christ using the Spirit of God giving me an effectual call to salvation to which I could not say no to, and thus became a part of the Church that Jesus is building.

 

            John MacArthur writes “By human reason, persuasiveness, and diligence it is possible to win converts to an organization, a cause, a personality, and to many other things.  But it is totally impossible to win a convert to the spiritual church of Jesus Christ apart from the sovereign God’s own Word and Spirit.  Human effort can produce only human results.  God alone can produce divine results.”  I guess that he may have been looking at my testimony as it is just like these words that he wrote.

 

            MacArthur goes on “when he studies and is obedient to the Word, and when he walks in the Spirit and produces the fruit of the Spirit, a believer can be sure he is living where Christ is building His church.  It is not faithful believers who build Christ’s church, but Christ who builds His church through faithful believers.  Wherever His people are committed to His kingdom and His righteousness the Lord builds His church.  If believers in one place become cold or disobedient, Christ does not stop building but simply starts work somewhere else.  His true church is always ‘under construction.’”

 

            There is a little bit more to this section of Christ building His church, but I want to save it for tomorrow morning as my Sunday SD’s are usually shorter.

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I am thankful to the Lord for what He did for me in saving my soul back in 1974, for the Holy Spirit giving me an effectual call that I could not say no to and for then giving to me a wife who came to the Lord in salvation, for two children, and then their spouses, and then for seven grand-children who came to know the Lord.  God is truly Good!

 

9/10/2022 10:19 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment