Sunday, September 11, 2022

PT-2 "I will build My Church" (Matt. 16:18)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 9/11/2022 7:59 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                               Focus:  PT-2 “I will build My Church”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                              Reference:  Matthew 16:18-20

 

            Message of the verses:  18 "And I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades shall not overpower it. 19 “I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." 20 Then He warned the disciples that they should tell no one that He was the Christ.”

 

            I mentioned in our last SD that I would be quoting from MacArthur’s commentary the last two paragraphs of this second section about Jesus talking about the certainty of the church.

 

            “Jesus said, ‘All that the Father gives Me shall come to Me’ (John 6:37).  At Pentecost, Peter declared that from among both Jews and Gentiles, Christ builds into His church ‘as many as the Lord our God shall call to Himself’ (Acts 2:39).  It was not the apostles but the Lord Himself who ‘was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved’ (v. 47; cf. 11:24).  When the Gentiles of Pisidan Antioch heard the preaching of Paul and Barnabas, ‘they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord; and as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed.  And the word of the Lord was being spread through the whole region’ (Acts 13:48-49).  That preaching, true and faithful as it was, was not capable by itself of winning converts to Christ.  Only those whom He had sovereignly chosen for salvation and who believed the truth of His Word were saved.

 

            “The New Testament is copperplate with commands and guidelines for believers’ attitudes and conduct.  It gives direction for selecting godly men and women to serve in the church.  It gives abundant instruction for righteous living, for prayer, and for acceptable worship.  Many of the Lord’s blessings are contingent on His people’s obedience and trust.  But the most sincere and diligent efforts to fulfill those commands and standards are useless apart from Christ’s own divine provision and control.  He desires and He uses the faithful work of those who belong to Him; but only He builds His church, the church that He loves and for whom He ‘gave Himself up, …that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she should be holy and blameless’ (Eph. 5:25-27).  Men are able to build human, earthly, physical organizations, but they cannot build the eternal spiritual church.”

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I desire that the Lord give me those whom He has chosen before the foundation of the world to come into contact so that I can tell them the good news.

 

My Steps of Faith For Today:  Trust that the Holy Spirit of God will give me the grace and wisdom to teach through our Sunday school class this morning from the 11th chapter of Hebrews.

9/11/2022 8:19 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment