Tuesday, September 13, 2022

PT-4 "I Will Build My Church" (Matt. 16:18)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 9/13/2022 9:04 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                             Focus:  PT-4 “I Will Build My Church”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matthew 16:18

 

            Message of the verse:  18 "And I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades shall not overpower it.”

 

            I mentioned in our last SD that I would quote from John MacArthur’s commentary on this fourth section about the church as it is really something new that I have learned and so I think that is the best way to present it.

 

            “Fourth, Jesus emphasized the identity and continuity of His people.  They are His church.  The word ekklesia (church) literally means ‘the called out ones’ and was used as a general and nontechnical term for any officially assembled group of people.  It was often used of civic gatherings such as town meetings, where important announcements were made and community issues were debated.  That is the sense in which Stephen used ekklesia in Acts 7:38 to refer to ‘the congregation’ of Israel called out by Moses in the wilderness (cf. Ex. 19:17).  Luke used it of a riotous mob (‘assembly’) incited by the Ephesians silversmiths against Paul (Acts 19:32, 41).

 

            “Matthew 16:18 contains the first use of ekklesia in the New Testament, and Jesus here gives it no qualifying explanation.  Therefore the apostles could not have understood it in any way but its most common and general sense.  The epistles use the term in a more distinct and specialized way and give instructions for its proper functioning and for its leadership.  But at Caesarea Philippi, Jesus’ use of ekklesia could only have carried the idea of ‘assembly,’ ‘community,’ or ‘congregation.’  If He spoke in Aramaic, as probably, He would have used the term qahal (taken directly from the Hebrew), which means an invited gathering, and was commonly used of synagogue meetings.  In fact, the word synagogue itself originally referred to any gathering or congregation of people.  Only during the Babylonian exile did Jews begin using it to denote their formal and organized place of religious activity and worship.  And only after the Day of Pentecost did the term ekklesia take on a new and technical significance in reference to the distinct redeemed community build on the work of Christ by the Holy Spirit’s coming.

 

            “In describing the inhabitants of heaven, the writer of Hebrews speaks of ‘the general assembly and church of the first-born’ (Heb. 12:23), referring to the redeemed saints of all ages.  That seems to be the sense in which Christ uses church in Matthew 16:18, as a synonym for citizens of His eternal kingdom, to which He refers in the following verse.  The Lord does not build His kingdom apart from His church or His church apart from His kingdom.”

 

            As I was reading over this section a couple of times the thought came into my mind about the time that I went to a church service in Florida a number of years ago and the preacher was referring to some Old Testament passage as being the church.  I contacted him and asked if he had made a mistake about this and he said no it was no mistake in what he said.  Well it was to me and I wonder if he referred to the church being in the Old Testament because of the word ekklesia found there, perhaps in the Greek translation of the Old Testament.  Any way I know he was wrong and I think that this section from MacArthur’s commentary help cleared up this in my mind.  We are now living in the church age which began on the Pentecost after Christ’s resurrection and according to 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 the church age will end at what is called the Rapture of the church, the taking away to heaven all saved members of the church whether dead or alive.  Once everyone is in heaven after the tribulation period and the millennial kingdom then as stated in MacArthur’s commentary we will all be one group.  The darker this world gets, and it is getting darker by the day, it is my hope and prayer that the Lord will return to take His bride back to heaven real soon.

 

9/13/2022 9:33 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment