Saturday, June 1, 2024

Intro to "The Traitor's Kiss"

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 6/1/2024 11:39 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  Intro to “The Traitor’s Kiss”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                    Reference:  Matt. 26:47-56

 

            Message of the verses:  47 While He was still speaking, behold, Judas, one of the twelve, came up accompanied by a large crowd with swords and clubs, who came from the chief priests and elders of the people. 48 Now he who was betraying Him gave them a sign, saying, "Whomever I kiss, He is the one; seize Him." 49 Immediately Judas went to Jesus and said, "Hail, Rabbi!" and kissed Him. 50 And Jesus said to him, "Friend, do what you have come for." Then they came and laid hands on Jesus and seized Him. 51 And behold one of those who were with Jesus reached and drew out his sword, and struck the slave of the high priest and cut off his ear. 52 Then Jesus said to him, "Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword. 53 “Or do you think that I cannot appeal to My Father, and He will at once put at My disposal more than twelve legions of angels? 54 “How then will the Scriptures be fulfilled, which say that it must happen this way?" 55 At that time Jesus said to the crowds, "Have you come out with swords and clubs to arrest Me as you would against a robber? Every day I used to sit in the temple teaching and you did not seize Me. 56 “But all this has taken place to fulfill the Scriptures of the prophets." Then all the disciples left Him and fled.

 

            I began this study of the 26th chapter of Matthew on April 6, 2024 and today is June 1, 2024, and I have to say that because of the length of this chapter that this study will probably go on for at least another two months.  This is a very important chapter in the book of Matthew for it tells us the last things that Jesus will do with His disciples in preparing them to do the work that He has called them to do after He suffers and dies for them and all who will accept the salvation that He provides.  I suppose that in studying this chapter in depth and now getting to the time when the Lord is betrayed by the traitor’s kill that because many people know the story, and I certainly do know the story, that it may not have as great of impact on us, but in my study of this section and as I listen to the sermons from John MacArthur on this section, two hour long sermons, it seems that the Lord is teaching me new things from this chapter.  I hope to convey what He is teaching me in my Spiritual Diaries.

 

            I have to say that this will be a rather short SD as what I am planning to do is quote the kind of short paragraph from MacArthur’s commentary to introduce these verses and then, Lord willing, I will begin looking in greater depth at these verses beginning tomorrow.

 

            “Besides Jesus, the participants in this narrative are the mixed crowd that came to arrest Him, the traitor Judas, and the eleven disciples.  The crowd attacked Jesus, Judas betrayed Him with a kiss, Peter presumptuously tried to defend Him with a sword, and the disciples defected from Him in terror.  But amidst those tragic activities, all of which appeared to work toward Jesus’ disgrace and defeat, the undaunted majesty and triumph of the Savior continued to manifest themselves as God’s prophetic Word was unerringly fulfilled.”

 

6/1/2024 12:05 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment