Monday, June 24, 2024

PT-2 "The Illegal and Unjust Conspiracy to Convict Jesus" (Matt. 26:59-61)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 6/24/2024 9:52 AM

 

My Worship Time                  Focus: PT-2 “The Illegal and Unjust Conspiracy to Convict Jesus”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                              Reference:  Matthew 26:59-61

 

            Message of the verses:  59 Now the chief priests and the whole Council kept trying to obtain false testimony against Jesus, so that they might put Him to death. 60 They did not find any, even though many false witnesses came forward. But later on two came forward, 61 and said, "This man stated, ‘I am able to destroy the temple of God and to rebuild it in three days.’’”

 

            I don’t think that I will be able to finish this section today, but I will try.  A number of weeks ago I mentioned that my wife was rapidly losing her hearing in her left ear.  The hearing doctor that we went to told me that I should have my wife get an MRI because this could be very serious.  I believe that the Lord worked to get us a fast appointment to see a doctor that my wife had seen before.  On the day of the appointment we got a call and were told that he had to do an emergency surgery and so the appointment was delayed a week.  After looking a fairly long time into her left ear he stated that she had fluid behind the ear drum and would need to have it drained.  He mentioned nothing about any MRI.  Today is the day she has to have this minor surgery to remove this fluid.  We are thankful that she can have this done to help her hearing, and pray that God will guide the hands of this surgeon to restore her hearing on her left ear.

 

            I will just quote a couple of paragraphs from MacArthur’s commentary and hopefully finish this up tomorrow.

 

            “But try as they would, they did not find any legitimate charges against Him, even though many false witnesses came forward.  During that first attempt to manufacture a charge, even the many false witnesses who were willing to perjure themselves could not devise a story that would stand scrutiny even in that corrupt biased proceeding!  Their testimonies not only were spurious but grossly inconsistent with each other (Matt. 14:56), as is typically the case with liars.

 

            “The frustration of the assembly continued to mount until later on two witnesses finally came forward with a charge that seemed usable.  The asserted that Jesus stated, ‘I am able to destroy the temple of God and rebuild it in three days.’  Mark’s more detailed account reports that they claimed Jesus said, ‘I will destroy this temple made with hands, and in three days I will build another made without hands’ (Mark 14:58).  Or perhaps Matthew reported one of the witness’s words and Mark the other’s, in which case the testimony even of those two men was not consistent.”

 

6/24/2024 10:14 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment