Friday, August 7, 2026

“False Teachers Are Earthly” (Luke 6:40)

 

MORNING SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 8/7/2026 9:30 AM

My Worship Time                                                                 Focus:  “False Teachers Are Earthly”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                                       Reference:  Luke 6:40

            Message of the verse:  “A pupil is not above his teacher; but everyone, after he has been fully trained, will be like his teacher.”

            The first thing that I want to say is that this SD will be very short, because as I look at MacArthur’s commentary he does not really have much to say, but perhaps I will look at what Warren W. Wiersbe has to say about this verse.  Dr. Wiersbe also does not have a lot of commentary on this verse but I will quote the paragraph that he has written at this time.  “Luke 6:40 reminds us that we cannot lead others where we have not been ourselves, nor can we be all that our Master is.  In fact, the more we strive to be like Him, the more we realize how far short we fall.  This is a warning against pride, for nothing blinds a person like pride.”

            I wrote letters to Warren Wiersbe and John MacArthur to let them know that I used their commentaries to help me write my Spiritual Diaries, trying to find out if this was something that would be a problem, but when I got letters back from them they did not even mention that.  I have learned much from these two men, especially from Warren Wiersbe’s commentaries on the Old Testament, and John MacArthur’s comments on the New Testament.

            John MacArthur writes “Like the first description of false teachers above, this pithy statement is also self-evident (see the similar statements in Matt. 10:24; John 13:16; 15:20).”  I will now quote those verses.

(Matt. 10:24; John 13:16; 15:20)

 “24  "A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master.”

“16  Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.”

“20  Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecute me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours.”

A pupil is not able to rise above his teacher, since a teacher cannot impart knowledge that he or she does not possess.  Teachers’ limitations and errors will inevitably be mirrored in their students.

            “Since false teachers neither come from God nor know the way to God, they cannot bring people to Him.  In ancient days students often followed their teachers regularly, and received instruction in context of daily life experiences.  That allowed teachers to reproduce themselves in their students in practical, not just theoretical ways, but even those fully trained in that manner could at best only be like their teacher. If he did not understand the truth of God, neither would they.  As Hosea said ‘Like people, like priest’ (Hos. 4:9).

            “On the other hand, those who follow Jesus will become like Him.  ‘We know that when He appears we will be like Him,’ John wrote, ‘because we will see Him just as He is’ (1 John 3:2).”

Spiritual Meaning for my life today:

1 To be like Jesus, To be like Jesus.
All I ask, to be like Him.
All thru life's journey from earth to glory,
All I ask, to be like Him.

2 To love like Jesus, to love like Jesus.
All I ask, to love like Him.
All thru life's journey from earth to glory,
All I ask, to love like Him.

3 To pray like Jesus, to pray like Jesus.
All I ask, to pray like Him.
All thru life's journey from earth to glory,
All I ask, to pray like Him.

4 To serve like Jesus, to serve like Jesus.
All I ask, to serve like Him.
All thru life's journey from earth to glory,
All I ask, to serve like Him.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  As I quoted 1 John 3:2 it made me think about my wife who is now in heaven seeing Him just as He is.

8/7/2026 10:05 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment