Saturday, March 23, 2013

Counsel (Studies in Proverbs)



SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 3/23/2013 11:39 AM
My Worship Time                                                                                          Focus:  Counsel
Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Studies in Proverbs
            Message of the verses:  We have been looking at different aspects of Christian growth that are found in the book of Proverbs, and in particular at this time from Proverbs 3:5-6.  Today we will look at the word “counsel.”
            4. Counsel
            Proverbs 20:18 states, “Plans are established by counsel; By wise counsel wage war.”  The object to this verse is that if experience generals are to seek counsel before going into war shouldn’t we seek counsel for the battles of life that we face?  One of God’s attributes is wisdom and James states the following about wisdom:  “5  But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. 6  But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind (James 1:5-6).” 
            As believers when we run into difficult problems, be it spiritual problems or family problems which can also be spiritual problems we are to seek out the counsel of wiser believers who have perhaps gone through similar problems and can give good counsel to us.  Paul writes the following  3 ¶  Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4  who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God (2Cor. 3:5-6).”  Paul states that when believers go through difficult times that the Lord can use them to help others who are going through difficult times of their own.
            In relationship of getting wise counsel for other believers we can look at Proverbs 12:15 to show us this is the correct way to get it:  “The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, But a wise man is he who listens to counsel.”  We don’t want to get counsel from a fool do we?
            Christian parents are the first source to get wise counsel:  “Listen to your father who begot you, And do not despise your mother when she is old.”  “A wise son heeds his father’s instruction, But a scoffer does not listen to rebuke (Pr. 13:1 NKJV).”  I realize that all of us have not had the privilege to be raised in a godly home, but God will provide substitute parents who are godly if we are young believers, especially in a good church we attend.
            Next we can look for Christian counsel from Christian friends.  “Oil and perfume make the heart glad, So a man’s counsel is sweet to his friend (Pr. 27:9).”  I realize that there are times when we do not get the sweet smelling advice from our friends that Solomon is talking about in this verse, we may even get bad advice.  I have been there and done that. Dr. Wiersbe quotes Proverbs 27:17 to make a point here “Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.”  He goes on to say, “The sparks may fly, but God will give us the light that we need, ‘Faithful are the wounds of a friend, But deceitful are the kisses of an enemy. (Pr. 27:6).’”
            Dr. Wiersbe writes “How we accept and apply rebuke is a test of how devoted we are to truth and wisdom and how sincere we are in wanting to know God’s will.  ‘He who listens to a life-giving rebuke will be at home among the wise (15:31 NIV).  ‘He who desdains instruction despises his own soul, but he who heeds rebuke gets understanding’ (Vs. 32 NKJV).  Friends who flatter us and avoid telling us the truth are only doing us harm.  ‘He who rebukes a man will in the end gain more favor than he who has a flattering tongue. (28.23, NIV; see 29:5).” 
            I know we all realize that not all friends are good counselors “The purposes of a man’s heart are deep waters, but a man of understanding draws them out (Pr. 20:5 NIV).”  We read in Jeremiah 17:9 the following “"The heart is more deceitful than all else And is desperately sick; Who can understand it?”  Then we read in Hebrews 4:12b “the thoughts and intentions of the heart.”  This is speak of the Word of God and the Word of God can teach us what the motives of our hearts really are if we study it and then listen to it.  If we don’t want to see it then we probably won’t.
            There are several verses in Proverbs that teach us that a multitude of counselors are good, that does not mean that we should run from friend to friend asking for advice.  I believe that if we pray about these types of situations and then trust the Lord to lead us to the right person to help us with them along with Bible Study that we will receive good counsel. 
            Dr. Wiersbe concludes this section with the following advice:  “In seeking counsel, we must be sincere, because a loving and wise friend can often see dangers and detours that are hidden from us.  IT’s best to be accountable to another believer and submit to the authority of the spiritual leaders in our church.  During more than forty years of ministry, I’ve witnessed the painful downfalls of several ‘Lone Ranger’ Christians who though they didn’t need anybody’s counsel. ‘A man who isolates himself seeks his own desire; he rages against all wise judgment’ (Pr 18:1, NKJV).  Christians are God’s sheep, and we need to flock together.  As members of Christ’s spiritual body (1Cor. 12), we belong to each other, and we need each other.”
            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I have had three real Pastors who I have set under since I have become a believer and I have received good counsel from all of them when I asked for it.  I thank God for all of them, of which two of them are now in heaven with the Lord receiving their rewards for a job well done.
My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord to not give up on me when I make mistakes, but to lead me to His Word and wise counsel to get me back on the track.
Memory verses for the week:  Psalm 32:1-7
            1 How blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered!  2 How blessed is the man to whom the LORD does not impute iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit!  3. When I kept silent about my sin, my body wasted away through my groaning all day long.  4 For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me; my vitality was drained away like the fever heat of summer. Selah.  5 I acknowledged my sin to You, and my iniquity I did not hide; I said “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD”; and You forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah.  6 Therefore, let everyone who is godly pray to You in a time when You may be found; surely in a flood of great waters they will not reach him.
            7 You are my hiding place; You preserve me from trouble; You surround me with songs of deliverance. Selah.
Answer to yesterday’s question:  “David” (1 Samuel 17:45)
Question for Today:  “Where did David reign for thirty three years?’
Answer in Tomorrow’s SD
3/23/2013 12:45 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment