Sunday, March 3, 2013

Speech can be used to do Evil PT-1 (Studies in Proverbs)



SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 3/3/2013 8:19 AM
My Worship Time                                                                Focus:  Speech can be used to do Evil
Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Proverbs
            Message of the verses:  We will begin to look at how speech can be used to do evil in today’s Spiritual Diary, as we contrast it from what we have learned in the past two SD’s where we looked at how speech can be used to do good.
            When we look at the beginning of the Word of God we see that the Lord spoke and the world came into existence and this was surely a good way to use speech, but then we see in the 3rd chapter of Genesis that Satan’s speech to Eve caused the world to plunge into sin and we can see evil speech all the way through the Word of God even in the book of Revelations when we see the evil speech of the false prophet and the antichrist.  As we turn on our TV sets and listen to our radio and look at things on the internet we hear much evil speech in the form of listening too and also reading.  It is truly my desire to write the truth in all the things that I write, to do this so that the Lord Jesus Christ will be glorified and lifted up.  There are many “spin doctors” in the world today and it is not getting better, but getting worse.  Politicians probably have the worst reputation when it comes to speaking lies, but there are many so called preachers who do the same.  However we are not going to look too much at those “professional” people who speak evil, but we are going to look at believers who do this.  How do we do this?  Well first we do this by having our speech hurt others.
            We hurt others by lying.  We will begin by looking at Proverbs 12:19, “Truthful lips will be established forever, But a lying tongue is only for a moment.” Next Proverbs 12:22, “Lying lips are an abomination to the LORD, But those who deal faithfully are His delight.”  Next Proverbs 6:16-17, “16  There are six things which the LORD hates, Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: 17  Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, And hands that shed innocent blood.”   Solomon warns his readers about bearing false witness, which is a violation of the ninth commandment. (See Proverbs 14:5, 25; 19:5, 9, 28; 21:28; 24:28)  Dr. Wiersbe writes “When words can’t be trusted, then society starts to fall apart.  Contracts are useless, promises are vain, the judicial system becomes a farce, and all personal relationships are suspect.”  “Like a club or a sword or a sharp arrow is the man who gives false testimony against his neighbor (Pr. 25:18).”
            When we look at liars we find that they enjoy listening to lies, “A wicked man listens to evil lips; a liar pays attention to a malicious tongue (Pr.17:4).”  We know that what the ears hear is what the heart loves, so one who lies loves lying.  However “An honest answer is like a warm hug (Pr. 24:26 The Message).”  We know that mostly a kiss is a sign of love and so Paul writes in Ephesians 4:15, “Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ.”  Dr. Wiersbe writes the following about being a honest person, “We should be honest because we’re honest people in our hearts, walking in the fear of the Lord and not because we’re shrewd bargainers who follow a successful policy.”
            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I never want to tell lies, even if it benefits me, for in the long run it will not benefit me, but hurt me.
My Steps of Faith for Today:  Learning things from the book of Proverbs has been and I suppose it will continue to be convicting to me, and so I need to confess the things that I fail at and trust that the Lord will give me the strength through His Word and the Spirit who lives within me to put into practice the things that I am convicted to put into practice.
Memory verses for the week:  Psalm 32:1-5
            1 How blessed is he whose transgression is forgive, whose sin is covered!  2 How blessed is the man to whom the LORD does not impute iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit!  3 When I kept silent about my sin, my body wasted away through my groaning all day long.  4 For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me; my vitality was drained away as with the fever heat of summer.  Selah.  5 I acknowledged my sin to You, and my iniquity I did not hide; I said “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord”; and You forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah.
Turning Points Wisdom for Today:  “Never compromise with those who water down the Word of God to human experience.”  (Oswald Chambers)  “The Law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul; the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple; the statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.”  (Psalm 19:7-8)
3/3/2013 9:19 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment