Saturday, March 30, 2013

Pride (Studies in Proverbs)



SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 3/30/2013 9:44 AM
My Worship Time                                                                                                      Focus:  Pride
Bible Reading & Meditation                                             Reference:  Studies in Proverbs
            Message of the verses:  In today’s SD we will look at the popular sin of pride, which is the last popular sin we will discuss, but we will also do a brief review of all of the popular sins that we have looked at over the last few days.
Pride
            It seems that whenever I think about pride I cannot help but thinking about a song that Roger Miller sang back in the 1960’s or 1970’s I don’t remember the exact year.  I don’t even remember the name of the song but a line in the song was “Pride is the chief cause in the decline of the number of husbands and wives.”  I can’t help believe that this is a true statement.  I looked the song up on the internet and the name of it is “Husbands and Wives.”  The section I am talking about is as follows, The angry words, spoken in haste Such a waste of two lives It's my belief, pride is the chief cause and the decline In the number of husbands and wives.”
            I want to quote the different verses in the book of Proverbs that have the word “pride” or “proud” in them.
Pr 8:13  "The fear of the LORD is to hate evil; Pride and arrogance and the evil way And the perverted mouth, I hate.
Pr 11:2  When pride comes, then comes dishonor, But with the humble is wisdom.
Pr 16:18  Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before stumbling.
Pr 21:24  "Proud," "Haughty," "Scoffer," are his names, Who acts with insolent pride.
Pr 29:23  A man’s pride will bring him low, But a humble spirit will obtain honor.
Pr 15:25  The LORD will tear down the house of the proud, But He will establish the boundary of the widow.
Pr 16:5  Everyone who is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD; Assuredly, he will not be unpunished.
Pr 16:19  It is better to be humble in spirit with the lowly Than to divide the spoil with the proud.
Pr 21:4  Haughty eyes and a proud heart, The lamp of the wicked, is sin.
            There are many theologians who would say that pride is the “sin of all sins,” and I would have to agree with them, for who am I not to agree with them.  Let us look at what was probably the first sin that was ever committed, which is recorded in the book of Isaiah 14:12-15, “12  "How you have fallen from heaven, O star of the morning, son of the dawn! You have been cut down to the earth, You who have weakened the nations! 13  "But you said in your heart, ’I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God, And I will sit on the mount of assembly In the recesses of the north. 14  ’I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.’ 15  "Nevertheless you will be thrust down to Sheol, To the recesses of the pit.”  What was this first sin?  Pride.  Who committed this first sin?  Lucifer whom we know as Satan.   When I was studying about creation I read somewhere or heard somewhere that it probably took Lucifer about twenty minutes before he sinned.  If one reads the description that is given to him in the Scriptures I suppose that once can understand why he fell and fell quickly for he was the highest being that God created.
            Next we see the sin of pride in the garden of Eden where the sinful Lucifer, now the devil temps Eve with the sin of pride, telling her that she can become just like God knowing good from evil.  Telling her that God had held out on her and not given her all she deserved, and she and Adam believe the lie of Satan and plunged the entire creation into sin.  It took the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, God’s only begotten Son to pay for that original sin and all  the sins that man has ever committed to bridge the gap between God and man can again have fellowship with God. 
            Dr. Wiersbe quotes a Scottish Pastor in his commentary on this section who said, “No man can bear witness to Christ and to himself at the same time.  No man can give the impression that he himself is clever and that Christ is might to save.”  Dr. Wiersbe goes on to write “That quotation should be printed in large letters and displayed in every church sanctuary and conference auditorium where God’s people gather.  It might humble some of the preachers and musicians who call so much attention to themselves that the hungry sheep can’t see Jesus.  If the  greatest sin is the corruption of the highest good, then people who use the Christian religion to promote themselves are guilty of great transgression.”
            Dr. Wiersbe goes on to talk about something that is very interesting to me, when he writes “Solomon illustrated our desire for recognition and praise by writing about honey.  ‘It is not good to eat too much honey, nor is it honourable to seek one’s own honour (Pr. 25:27).’  Balance this with Pr. 25:16:  ‘If you find honey, eat just enough—too much of it, and you will vomit.’  If honey represents praise, then beware of trying to digest too much of it.”
            Now we will attempt to review these five popular sins that we have been looking at with the help of Warren Wiersbe.  I suppose that when we look at those who are not believers we are not surprised that they commit these five popular sins probably with regularity, but what about believers?  Let us take a look at some different passages in the Bible to show that believers have this some kind of problems with these sins.  1 Cor. 11:21 illustrates that the Corinthian believers had trouble with getting drunk, “for in your eating each one takes his own supper first; and one is hungry and another is drunk.”  What does 1 Cor. 6:10 say? “nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.”  I am not saying that those that Paul was writing to were not believers for I believe that when Paul writes this verse that he is speaking of the habitual sins, not the occasional sin of a believer.
            When we read Ephesians 6:1-3 we can see that there were some children of the parents that Paul was writing to that did not respect their parents.  “1 ¶  Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2  "Honour your father and mother"—which is the first commandment with a promise— 3  "that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.’”
            In Luke 12:15 we read that Jesus said “Take heed, and beware of covetousness” and then Paul writes to the Colossian believers that covetousness was idolatry. (Co. 3:5)
            In Paul’s letter to Timothy he warned him that young believers should not be appointed to spiritual leadership roles because “lest being lifted up with pride [they] fall into the condemnation of the devil.  We also see that the Apostle John wrote in his third letter about a proud believer named Diotrephes who was running the church and wouldn’t submit to the authority of God’s Apostle. (3John 9-11)
            We conclude with the words of James who said in his letter “My brethren, these things ought not to be so.”
            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  When I think about the fact that I, along with every other human was born a sinner, and that it took a loving and just God to provide salvation for me, and it takes the Spirit of God, who lives in me to show me the good works that I am to do for the cause of Christ, that will bring glory and honor to Him, I have to ask myself “Why should I be proud of anything I do?”  Because I still have that old nature within me there is surely a battle that goes on over things like doing good works for the Lord.
My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Holy Spirit of God to lead me to accomplish the works that the Father has chosen for me to do, and through them bring honor and glory to my Lord and Savior.
Memory verses for the week:  Psalm 32:1-8
            1 How blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered!  2 How blessed is the man to whom the LORD does not impute iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit!  3 When I kept silent about my sin, my body wasted away through my groaning all day long.  4 For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me; my vitality was drained away as with the fever heat of summer.  Selah.  5 I acknowledged my sin to You, and my iniquity I did not hide; I said “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD”; and You forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah.  6 Therefore, let everyone who is godly pray to You when You may be found; surely in a flood of great waters they will not reach him.
            7 You are my hiding place; You preserve me from trouble; You surround me with songs of deliverance.  Selah.  8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you.
Answer to yesterday’s Bible Question:  “Joseph”  (Genesis 39:9)
Today’s Bible Question:  “Persecution in the church at what place caused the Christians to be scattered through Judea and Samaria?”
Answer in Tomorrow’s SD
3/30/2013 11:13 AM   



No comments:

Post a Comment