Wednesday, March 6, 2013

God can help you to Speak Wisely (Studies in Proverbs)



SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 3/6/2013 10:18 AM
My Worship Time                  Focus:  Only God Can Help Us Use the Gift of Speech for Good.
Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Mostly Proverbs
            Message of the verses:  Today’s SD will feature comments from the last main point in Warren Wiersbe’s commentary on Proverbs.  I mentioned in the last few days how the things that I have been learning have stepped on my toes and now it looks like I will find some relief in today’s SD.  After today my plan is to move onto the first chapter in the book of Daniel for a few days.  I will begin with and introduction to the book of Daniel and then move to the first chapter to comment on it.  I am excited to be looking and studying Daniel as it was used of the Lord to draw me to Him in January of 1974.  I have read it many times and even helped to teach one chapter from it a few years back, but never studied it by myself.  I will have to admit that the tenth and eleventh chapters are a bit scary to me, but I will trust the Lord to give me the grace when I get that far.  My plan is to take one chapter a month, beginning with this month and when I get through that chapter I will go back to where I was before doing the chapter on Daniel, which of course is the book of Proverbs at this time.
Only God Can Help Us Use the Gift of Speech for Good
            When we see verses in Scripture on the tongue we need to take notice of them as to what they are saying to us.  We also need to remember that after the apostle Paul spent eleven chapters in the book of Romans to explain great theology to us that he then wrote these words, “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.”  After all God has done for us in choosing us, redeeming us, justifying us, sanctifying us, and filling us with the Person of His Holy Spirit that it is not reasonable that we offer our bodies as a living sacrifice to Him, and that means to surrender our speech to Him too.  David writes “Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; Keep watch over the door of my lips (Psalm 141:3).”  However we must remember what Jesus taught us about what comes out of our mouth, “For the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart (Matthew 12:34b).”  What is in our hearts will come out of our mouth.  This is a really revealing statement when you think about it, for how many times when we get angry with someone that we blame them for our actions, but the truth is that our actions come out of or mouth because they are in our hearts.  I am not saying that at times we have righteous anger, but I have heard that 99% of our anger is not righteous anger.
            Dr. Wiersbe writes “Proverbs 16:1 has been a great help to me, especially when I’vee been called upon to give counsel:  ‘To man belong the plans of the hearts, but from the Lord comes the reply of the tongue’ (NIV).’  When you couple this with 19:21, it give you great encouragement:  ‘Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails’ (NIV).’  On many occasions, I’ve had to make decisions about complex matters, and the Lord has given me just the words to speak.  However, if my heart had not bee in touch with His Word and yielded to His will, the Spirit might not have been able to direct me.  If we make our plans the best we can and commit them to the Lord, He’ll guide us in what we say and do.” 
            Proverbs 10:32 speaks of the “spiritual radar” that the Lord gives to us so we can assess a situation and make the right reply, “The lips of the righteous bring forth what is acceptable.”  Pr. 15:23, “A man has joy in an apt answer, And how delightful is a timely word!”  Isaiah 50:4-6, “morning by morning, He awakens My ear to listen as a disciple. 5  The Lord GOD has opened My ear; And I was not disobedient Nor did I turn back. 6  I gave My back to those who strike Me, And My cheeks to those who pluck out the beard; I did not cover My face from humiliation and spitting.”  I believe that Isaiah was speaking of our Lord in these verses who is always the best example to follow.  Proverbs 15:28 states, “The heart of the righteous studies how to answer, But the mouth of the wicked pours forth evil.”  11 ¶  Like apples of gold in settings of silver Is a word spoken in right circumstances. 12  Like an earring of gold and an ornament of fine gold Is a wise reprover to a listening ear (Pr. 25:11-12).”
            How are people able to speak wisely to those in need of hearing wisdom from them?  Wise men store up knowledge (Pr. 10:14).”  How do they store up this knowledge?  Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God (Col. 3:16).”  “The heart of the wise instructs his mouth And adds persuasiveness to his lips (Pr. 16:23).”  We, as believers have to take the time to study the Word of God, to hide it in our hearts, and to meditate upon it so that we can apply it to situations that we are in.
            Dr. Wiersbe concludes his chapter with these insightful words, “Have you heard the fable of the king and the menu?  A king once asked his cook to prepare for him the best dish in the world, and he was served a dish of tongue.  The king then asked for the worst dish in the world, and again was served tongue.
            ‘”Why do you serve me the sam food as both the best and the worst?’ the perplexed monarch asked.
            ‘”Because, your majesty,’ the cook replied, ‘the tongue is the best of things and th worsh of things when use carelessly and unkindly.’
            ‘Death and life are in the power of the tongue’ (Pr. 18:21).
            ‘The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life’ (Pr. 10:11, NIV)’
            “Chose life!”
            That is great advice for us to listen to and to apply to our lives, for speaking kind and gentle words has to come from the Lord if they are to be effective to accomplish what He desires them to accomplish, and to do that we must be constantly in tuned with the Lord.
            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Well it seems that I have my marching orders for today and for that matter for everyday to come.  I would pray that the Lord will give me to right words to speak at all times, may they come from a heart that is filled with His Word, and my they bring glory to Him.
My Steps of Faith for Today:  Desire to speak healing words to those who are in need of them.
Memory verses for the week:  Psalm 32:1-5
            1 How blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sin is covered!  2 How blessed is the man to whom the LORD does not impute iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit!  When I kept silent about my sin, my body wasted away through my groaning all day long.  4 For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me; my vitality was drained away as with the fever heat of summer.  Selah.  5 I acknowledged my sin to You, and my iniquity I did not hide; I said “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD”; and You forgave the guilt of my sin.   Selah.
Turning Points Wisdom for Today:  “He who cannot forgive breaks the bridge over which he himself must pass.”  (Thomas Fuller)  “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly father will also forgive you.  But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.”  (Matthew 6:14,15)
3/6/2013 11:29 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment