Sunday, March 24, 2013

Plans (Studies in Proverbs)



SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 3/24/2013 8:48 AM
My Worship Time                                                                                          Focus:  Plans
Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Studies in Proverbs
            Message of the verses:  Our subject from the book of Proverbs today is plans.
            5. Plans
            Now we have had theme verses in the last few Spiritual Diaries, which is Proverbs 3:5-6, “Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not upon your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path.”  As we look at these two important verses from the book of Proverbs we can see that we are to look to the Lord for direction, but we are also to follow the direction or plans that the Lord gives to us. 
            When we look at plans that we have in or life we are not suppose to totally be all passive and the Lord to be active, and this is something that all believers run into not too far down their walk with the Lord.  Are we to let God and let go as some have said?  Dr. Wiersbe writes the following endnote to help answer this question: “Psalm 46:10 says, ‘Be still and know that I am God’; the phrase ‘be still’ literally means ‘take your hands off,’ or ‘stop your striving.’  There are times when we prove our faith simply by waiting on the Lord and allowing Him to work.  Naomi’s advice to Ruth was excellent:  ‘Sit still, my daughter’ (Ruth 3:18), and so was Moses’ instruction (Ex. 14:13).  But when it’s time to act, no amount of devotion will substitute for obedience.  See Josh. 7:10ff; 1 Samuel 16:1ff; 1 Kings 19:15ff.”  We see that there is a time to plan and a time to act, but our planning must be in the Lord.  James 2:26 states “Faith without works is dead.”  I realize that this verse has brought controversy to some, but the verse is not speaking about our salvation for we do not work or that for that is a gift, but in order to prove that we are saved we work at what the Lord wants us to do as Ephesians 2:10 speak of.
            We read in Proverbs 3:5 that we are not to lean on our own understanding, but that word “leaning” means ‘to rely on.”  Our faith must be in the Word of God and not in our own wisdom.  Proverbs has much to say about wisdom, and the kind of wisdom we as believers need is from the Lord and not from ourselves, and we get that from the Word of God.
            When we are seeking to know the will of God we are to gather all of the facts that we can access, but our decision must be based on knowledge and not on hearsay.  “Every prudent man acts out of knowledge, but a fool exposes his folly.”  (Pr. 13:16 NIV)  “He who gives an answer before he hears, It is folly and shame to him (Pr. 18:13).”  As we look at this verse we must understand that it applies to whether we are answering a person or the Lord.  “The wisdom of the sensible is to understand his way, But the foolishness of fools is deceit (Pr. 14:8).  As believers when we are making plans we must take our time and look honestly at all the facts.
            Dr. Wiersbe writes “God expects us to use our brains and make plans, but He also expects us to submit those plans to Him and let Him make the final decision.”  “The plans of the heart belong to man, But the answer of the tongue is from the LORD (Pr. 16:1).”  “Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed (Pr. 16:3 NIV).”  Dr. Wiersbe continues “If we’re yielded to the Lord and our plans are not His plans, He will show us what’s wrong.”  “And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you (Phil 3:15b NIV).”  “In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps (Pr. 16:9 NIV).” 
            The problem is when we rebel against the Lord and desire to go our own way, “There is no wisdom and no understanding And no counsel against the LORD (Pr. 21:30).”  That is why we as believers are to begin our search in the Word of God, and then obeying it after reading it.  In His Word we will find the character of God and the will of God will never contradict either the purposes of God or the character of God, and that is why we must wait before the Lord for “the plans of the diligent lead to profit as surely as haste leads to poverty (Pr. 21:15).”  There is no need to rush ahead if we are walking by faith as seen in Isaiah 28:16b, “Whoever believes will not act hastily.” 
            Dr. Wiersbe concludes this wonderful commentary by writing the following:  “So, when we have a decision to make, we gather all the facts and seek wise counsel, we make our plans, we commit ourselves and our plans to the Lord, we listen to His Word, and we wait before Him for His leading.  Sometimes God leads us through a Bible promise or warning; sometimes while we’re at worship with God’s people, He speaks through a song or Scripture reading; or He may direct us through providential circumstances.  More than once in my own life, His disciplines have turned out to be His directions (Pr 3:11-12; Heb. 12:1-11).” 
            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I surely have to agree that there have been times in my life when the disciplines of God as I then yield to His purposes have given great direction to me.  It is not always the most pleasant of ways, but it does work.
My Steps of Faith for Today:  There is something that has been running through my mind that I may want to do, and so as I think about it I desire to seek the will of the Lord, and also desire to wait upon the Lord, which is something that is not natural for me, and then hope that what the outcome will be will bring glory to the Lord.
Memory verses for the week:  Psalm 32:1-8
            1 How blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sin is covered!  2 How blessed is the man to whom the LORD does not impute iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit!  3 When I kept silent about my sin my body wasted away through my groaning all day long.  4 For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me; my vitality was drained away like the fever heat of summer. Selah.  5 I acknowledged my sin to You, and my iniquity I did not hide; I said “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD”; and You forgave the guilt of my sin.  Selah.  6 Therefore, let everyone who is godly pray to You in a time when You may be found; surely in a flood of great waters they will not reach him.
            7 You are my hiding place; You preserve me from trouble; You surround me with songs of deliverance. Selah.  8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you.
Answer to yesterday’s Question:  “Jerusalem” (2 Samuel 5:5)
Question for Today:  “Who had a dream about three baskets of food on his head?”
Answer in Tomorrow’s SD
3/24/2013 10:08 AM
           

No comments:

Post a Comment