Monday, March 25, 2013

Obedience (Studies in Proverbs)



SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 3/25/2013 9:09 AM
My Worship Time                                                                              Focus:  Obedience
Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Studies in Proverbs
            Message of the verses:  We have been looking at six things that are in the will of God over the past six Spiritual Diaries.  I should say that today we will be looking at the sixth thing that is in the will of God for us as believers.
            6. Obedience
            We have been looking more closely at Proverbs 3:5-6 in our study that is all about the will of God, and in verse six we read these words, “in all your ways acknowledge Him” and this means “Do God’s will in every area of life.  Seek to honor Him in everything.”  Proverbs 3:7 goes on to say “Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and depart from evil.”  If we are wise in our own eyes we are not being humble, and this is disobedience against the Lord.  Proverbs 11:2-3 state, “When pride comes, then comes shame; But with the humble is wisdom 3 The integrity of the upright will guide them, But the perversity of the unfaithful will destroy them.”  (NKJV)
            How can we be assured that we are obedient to the Lord?  Proverbs 3:6 states that “He will direct our path,” and by having Him direct our path we can be assured that we are obeying our Lord.  Dr. G. Campbell Morgan said:  “Not always in easy or pleasant paths, but always in right paths.  Now always in those I would have chosen, but always in paths which lead to success….The paths that He directs lead always through mist and mystery, through battle and through bruising, to the fulfillment of the meaning of life.”
            Dr. Wiersbe finishes his commentary on this 11th chapter by stating the following:  “Some people live only for entertainment and try to escape the burdens of life.  Others live  for enjoyment and try to make the most of life.  God’s dedicated people live for enrichment and discover fulfillment in life as they do the will of God from the heart.
            “Which on are you?”
            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  It seems that I may be struggling with these very questions in my life lately.  My desire is to do the will of God, to obey Him in all ways like the Proverb is stating.  It is easier said than done, but by the grace of God I will do a better job.
My Steps of Faith for Today:  Be obedient to the Lord in all the ways that He directs my life.
Memory verses for the week:  Psalm 32:1-8
            1 How blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.  2 How blessed is the man to whom the LORD does not impute iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit.  3 When I kept silent about my sin, my body wasted away through my groaning all day long.  4 For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me; my vitality was drained away like the fever heat of summer. Selah.  5 I acknowledge my sin to You, and my iniquity I did not hide; I said “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD”; and You forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah.  6 Therefore, let everyone who is godly pray to You in a time when You may be found; surely in a flood of great waters they will not reach him.
            7 You are my hiding place; You preserve me from trouble; You surround me with songs of deliverance. Selah.  8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you.
Answer to yesterday’s Bible Question:  “Pharaoh’s baker”  (Genesis 40:16-17)
Bible Question for Today:  “In which kingdom did Joel prophesy?”
Answer in Tomorrow’s SD
3/25/2013 9:52 AM  

No comments:

Post a Comment