Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Influences of Righteousness PT-3 (Studies in Proverbs)



SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 3/19/2013 10:00 AM
My Worship Time                                          Focus:  The Influences of Righteousness PT-3
Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Studies in Proverbs
            Message of the verses:  We will begin the last sub-section under the above main section in today’s SD.
            They are blessed as citizens and leaders.  Again we ask as we did in yesterday’s SD, who is it that are blessed as citizens and leaders?  The answer of course, is those who are righteous.    10 ¶  When it goes well with the righteous, the city rejoices, And when the wicked perish, there is joyful shouting. 11  By the blessing of the upright a city is exalted, But by the mouth of the wicked it is torn down (Pr. 11:10-11).”  “When the righteous increase, the people rejoice, But when a wicked man rules, people groan (Pr. 29:2).” 
            From studying the OT we learn that Israel was a monarchy which meant that the king was expected to rule in the fear of the Lord.  “A king who sits on the throne of justice Disperses all evil with his eyes (Pr. 20:8).”  “A wise king winnows the wicked, And drives the threshing wheel over them (Pr. 20:26).”  “It is an abomination for kings to commit wicked acts, For a throne is established on righteousness (Pr. 16:12).”  “Take away the wicked before the king, And his throne will be established in righteousness (Pr. 25:5).”  We also learn that the reason that God chased out the Canaanite nations was because He cannot tolerate the sin of idolatry.  Latter on He would chasten Israel for not following His Laws and worshiping idols.
            As we go through the history of Israel and see the different kings that Israel had we will see that when there were righteous kings on the throne such as David, Josiah or Hezekiah that God would bless the nation, but when there were ungodly kings on the throne who led the nation into idolatry then God would discipline the nation.  I believe that this is also true of different countries in today’s society.  The United States was founded on the principles of the Law of God, the Ten Commandments and as long as we follow them God will bless us, but for the last several years we have a President who thinks that it is okay to disobey the Word of God as he believes in abortion and homosexuals to get married.  God cannot bless our nation when we have leaders like this.
            In the nation of Israel God always had a remnant that was godly.  We see an example of this in the days of Elijah when he thought that he was the only believer in Israel, but God told him that there were 7000 who had not bent the knee to Baal.   Mal. 3:16 states “Then those who feared the LORD spoke to one another, and the LORD gave attention and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before Him for those who fear the LORD and who esteem His name.”
            “We know that Israel is the only nation that has a special covenant relationship with God, but the principle of Proverbs 14:34 still stand:  ‘Righteousness exalts a nation but sin is a disgrace to any people.’”  Dr. Wiersbe goes on to state that “legalizing sin doesn’t make it right.  ‘Now wonder Thomas Jefferson wrote, ‘Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.’”  I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.
            How is it that we have a godly nation?  Well it begins with godly parents who teach their children the things of the Lord so that they too can teach their children the same things.  Another way is to follow the Word of God in praying for our leaders even though they are not doing the things that are godly we still can pray for their souls, and for God to direct them in order for His will to be done.  I wonder how many people in the early church prayed for Saul of Tarsus?  I know that it is a hard thing for me to pray for those who are in charge now, but I still need to do it because God says I should do it.  Proverbs 21:1 states “The king’s heart is like channels of water in the hand of the LORD; He turns it wherever He wishes.”
            Dr Wiersbe concludes his commentary with these insightful words, “I occasionally hear people lamenting the state of the nation, but most o them fail to point out the main cause:  The church collectively and believers individually aren’t doing their job in spreading righteousness.  If the righteous remnant were spreading more salt and light, there would be less decay and darkness (Matt. 5:13-16).  Christians have a job to do: praying for all in authority, winning the lost, living godly lives, and raising godly children.
            “And it would help if we humbled ourselves and sought God’s face (2 Chron. 7:14); for apart from the deep working of God’s Spirit in hearts, there is no hope for any nation.
            ‘Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord, the people He chose for His inheritance’ (Ps. 33:12, NIV).”
            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I am convicted from this SD, convicted that I am not doing as good a job in praying for our leaders and giving out the Gospel as I should.  By God’s grace I will do better.
My Steps of Faith for Today:  I will add a section in my prayer list for our leaders.
Memory verses for the week:  Psalm 32:1-7
            1 How blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered!  2 How blessed is the man to whom the LORD does not impute iniquity, and in whose spirit there is not deceit!  3 When I kept silent about my sin my body wasted away through my groaning all day long.  4 For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me; my vitality was drained away as with the fever heat of summer. Selah.  5 I acknowledged my sin to You, and my iniquity I did not hide:  I said “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD”; and You forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah.  6 Therefore, let everyone who is godly pray to You in a time when You may be found; surely in a flood of great waters they will not reach him.
            7 You are my hiding place; You preserve me from trouble; You surround me with songs of deliverance. Selah.
Answer to yesterday’s question:  “Philemon”
Today’s Question:  “What did Aaron do with golden earrings?”
Answer in tomorrow’s SD.
3/19/2013 11:00 AM
           

No comments:

Post a Comment