Tuesday, January 17, 2017

PT-3 "The Convicting of the Spirit" (John 16:8-11)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 1/17/2017 8:41 AM

My Worship Time                                                        Focus: PT-3 “The Convicting of the Spirit”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                     Reference:  John 16:8-11

            Message of the verse:  “8  "And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment; 9  concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10  and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me; 11  and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged.”

            We want to continue looking at what Jesus told the disciples “The Holy Spirit convicts the world concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me.”  When a person who is an unbeliever is convicted of sin which is what we learned about in yesterday’s SD as the first point they go from being totally unrighteous to receiving the righteousness of Jesus Christ which is what Jesus is talking about here when He speaks of righteousness.  The tables are turned once a person accepts Jesus Christ as this is one of them many things that happens to a person once they have accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord as they receive Christ’s righteousness which is necessary for anyone to enter into heaven and be with God.  Jesus says the following in Matthew 5:20 and 48 “20 “For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.”  “48 “Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.”  The Pharisees were trying to obtain righteousness on their own but when compared to the holiness and sinlessness of Jesus Christ it is like filthy rags.

            Jesus next says “because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me” and this provides the supreme evidence of Jesus’ righteousness as He is once again accepted into the Father’s presence.  We read the following in Habakkuk 1:13a “Your eyes are too pure to approve evil, And You cannot look on wickedness with favor.”  Philippians 2:9 teaches us “For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name” 

            Thirdly, the Holy Spirit convicts the world “concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged.”  The most vial and evil thing the world could have ever done was to reject Jesus Christ and thus put Him on the cross to kill Him, and yet we know that this was the heartbeat of the Father’s plan, why He sent Jesus to earth to fulfill, none the less it was still the most wicked thing the world has ever done.  The world continues to do this to the true followers of Jesus Christ today as it has been ever since He went back to heaven and the church age began.  Why did they do this?  The world is incapable of judging righteously “"Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment’ (John 7:24).”  The Spirit however also does this as He convicts people of their false assessment of Jesus Christ.

            It is hard to believe that the ruler of this world, Satan has been judged, but he has been judged at the cross of Jesus Christ and will one day soon be kicked out of heaven as we learned when we studied the book of Revelation “7 And there was war in heaven, Michael and his angels waging war with the dragon. The dragon and his angels waged war, 8 and they were not strong enough, and there was no longer a place found for them in heaven. 9 And the great dragon was thrown down, the serpent of old who is called the devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.”  Let us look also at Luke 10:18 “And He said to them, "I was watching Satan fall from heaven like lightning.”  The following verses show us that Satan was defeated at the cross:  Colossians 2:15 “When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities, He made a public display of them, having triumphed over them through Him.”  Hebrews 2:14 “Therefore, since the children share in flesh and blood, He Himself likewise also partook of the same, that through death He might render powerless him who had the power of death, that is, the devil.”  1 John 3:8 “the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil.”  John MacArthur writes “Though Satan has been defeated and judged, the final sentence against him will not be carried out until the end of the millennium (Rev. 20:10).  In the meantime he goes about as the god of this age, seeking to capture and devour souls.  The sobering warning to those who embrace the world system is that since its ruler will not escape judgment, neither will they, unless they repent.  The Devil’s fate guarantees the judgment of every unrepentant sinner.”

            As we conclude this section we must understand that there are only two possible responses to the convicting work of the Holy Spirit:  repentance or rejection.  We can repent of our sins as the Holy Spirit makes it clear to us that we are sinners heading for hell or we can reject His call and end up in the very place where the ruler of this world will end up.  The choice is yours but please don’t reject the Spirit’s calling you, rather repent and be saved.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  In nine days it will be 43 years ago that the Spirit convicted me of sin and saved my soul and for that I am eternally thankful and desire to tell others about what happened to me.  The following is my testimony as I wrote it out a few years ago.

            My Testimony

            Please allow me to tell you how my relationship with God began.  When I was a young boy I went to a church that taught us that before we reached our 12th birthday if we died we would go straight to heaven.  At the age of ten I went fishing with some of my friends, who were mostly older than I was, and so in order to impress them I began to swear, swear a lot.  It was the beginning of a habit that I would never be able to stop on my own.

            Another thing that happened to me when I was young was that my mother taught us how she heard that the world was going to end.  She told us that winter was going to turn into summer and then summer would turn into winter and then the world would burn up.  To a young boy this was very frightening to me.

            We fast forward to the summer of 1966 when on the fifth of July I was inducted into the Army.  This frightened me because there was a war going on and I surely did not want to die in a war at the age of 19.  I made a deal with God that if He would get me out of the Army that I would stop swearing, for I knew this was wrong.  There was a medical problem that I had before I went into the army, but they sent me anyway.  I had never had this problem before, so after being in the Army for three days I was told that I would be going back home.  I had to keep my deal with the Lord so for three weeks I stopped my swearing, but then it was back to “normal.”  After going back to my job they checked me for the medical condition and it was gone, never to return again.

            In late 1972 I went to visit a friend in Florida.  It was a last minute decision, so I had to stop over in Atlanta.  While in the Atlanta airport a young couple began to speak to me about what the Bible really had to say about the end of the world.  This was very interesting to me, and it relieved my fears a bit, but did not stop the habit of swearing.

            In January of 1974 I went back to visit my friend in Florida, and I must confess that my motives were not good in going there.  My friend gave me a series of cassette tapes by a man named Hal Lindsey that were about what the Bible said about how the world was going to end.  I listened to one each day and it was if they were speaking right to me.  At the end of each message Lindsey told his audience how they could have a relationship with the Lord.  I followed what he said and the first thing that I noticed was that I had no desire to swear, but I did have a desire to read the Bible.  The thing that I tried to do on my own was taken away from me never to return again.  My fears about how the world was going to end were also gone, because I understood how it was going to happen.

            In 1979 our son was born with a hole in his heart along with a bad heart valve.  In May of 1980 at the age of 18 months the surgeons actually cut his heart into and inserted a patch in it and put another patch near the valve.  It was the longest day of my life to that point, but because of my relationship with the Lord there was calmness.  My son and his wife now have three children.  My question to you is if you died today would you be 100% sure of going to heaven?

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Silas and Timothy” (Acts 15:40; 16:1).

Today’s Bible question:  “Who was the last of the military judges”

Answer in our next SD.

1/17/2017 9:26 AM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment